Erevos

• Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!
      I 've been playing poker for 3 years, but only for fun with my friends and rarely online (losing $10 deposits everytime :f_cry: )
      Since more and more players appear in my town's live home games, i thought that i either had to stop playing or improve myself. I don 't really like to lose consinstently οr stagnate like that forever.
      Although i don't have plenty of time due to my master's classes, i decided to invest some time to this nice and challenging hobby. So far,i play online NL2 and my bankroll is growing, but i must lay solid foundations.

So let me move to the #1 Homework:
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Obvious reason for nearly everyone is money; of course i would like poker to be a small source of income. But i don't think this is the right goal-setting approach for me. I primarily want to understand the game, enjoy the competition learn about mathematics and psychology interfering, develop right decision-making and self-awareness.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      • Making some terrible calls, even if i know that i am beat.
      • Don 't really have a plan during every hand.
      • Sometimes i feel that i am obliged to win the hand, just because i invested some money in it before.
      • Losing control over emotion, especially when i recently have won some big pots. For a while i feel invulnerable. :f_mad:
      • Feeling bad when someone bluffs me due to egoism.

This is what i can recall right now. Some of these appear less and less frequently, but still exist.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight style is trying to avoid tough and negative value situations, by selecting strong hands preflop
      and not going too far with marginal holdings postflop.
      Aggressive play means to put your oppenents under pressure, forcing them to make mistakes and taking the lead from them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Finally, i would like to thank this great community and especially the coaches who do so much and good work with hand evaluations, coachings and answering every silly question :f_biggrin: Cya :)
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Ego problems are very important to fix cause you more often going to lose a lot money in long run rather than win. The problem comes from you trying to win too many pots and showing everything who is the boss on the table, so called "sheriff syndrome". But is it always about winning the pots? It could easily be even to be capable of folding and trying to understand that we are behind even if we get really good odds. Try to force down the sheriff in you, try to remind yourself what you are doing on the table. I am pretty sure that you are also planning to win money in the long run so try to give your best. Could even write on a piece of paper not to do fancy moves and put it near your desktop.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK #2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      1. Sometimes, i try to adjust to the table and, for example, if i am BU and there are two nits at the blinds with VPIP=10,
        i will raise with a pretty wide range (~35%).
      2. If i am first to enter from CO and there are some good players at the blinds and BU,
        i will fold some marginal hands like QTo or Axs, which SHC recommends raising.
      3. I almost always call a raise with AQ, but not with AJ.
      4. I tend to limp or call a raise with pocket pairs from early position.
      5. If there are a couple of limpers, i will also limp with A9o+ from late position.

In cases 1,2,3 i feel pretty comfortable and not facing too many difficulties postflop.

Although cases 4,5 sometimes put me into trouble in multiway pots, (e.g. i hold 99, there are many limpers
      and flop is 457 monotone or two tone).
      It depends on every situation, but maybe my post flop play is the problem in many spots (knowing when i am beat, hand reading etc)

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Another example of case 5: 2NL ATo from BU

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Using Equilator, the preflop equity is:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, is there any further advice about very loose opponents? Let 's say i am at COand there are 3-5 limpers. Should i still raise that much (7-10 bb) with hands like AQ,AJ or TT ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

Also, is there any further advice about very loose opponents? Let 's say i am at COand there are 3-5 limpers. Should i still raise that much (7-10 bb) with hands like AQ,AJ or TT ?

You want to raise those hands which you would raise for value aka you would assume to be ahead with the hand and clearly AQ/AJ and those hands are well for them. Try that out with Equilab and see how much equity you get vs some loose limping range.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK #3

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Preflop, we find that equity is:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

When the flop comes:

Board: J:spade: 3:spade: 5:diamond:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can assume that he has a staright or a set most of the time.
      The pot odds are: 0.22/(0.25+0.88) = 20%.
      Our chances of making the flush are: 9/46 = 20%.
      If he has a set (or even 2 pairs) we must discount 2 outs and then our equity is 7/46 = 15%.

So i think this is a close decision. If i think that i can win an extra bet from him
      when i hit the flush (passive-fishy opponent) i would call.

Also there is always a chance of him bluffing or semi-bluffing,thus making the call easier; but this is not a very common case at the microstakes.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      FR NL4, river flush

Sorry for taking so long to post the homeworks, but from December i will not be able to play online poker in my country.
      This is so absurd and i am very dissapointed. I hope that in the end things will be regulated in the right way.
      Until then, good luck to all of you. This is some great help you offer.

The words in green did not come true :P
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Well done.

I'm sorry to hear that you will not be able to play online poker, especially after you've put some good effort into improving as a player.

If you don't mind me asking what country do you live in?
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      I live in Greece and things are pretty messed up and unclear in every aspect.
      About poker, luckily, the prohibition did not work in the end.
      Here is a short news article: http://pokerfuse.com/news/law-and-regulation/greek-gaming-regulation-under-fire-18-12/
      Ιnference: I enjoy the game and wil continue to slowly improve :f_biggrin:
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOMEWORK #4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      QQ=overpair not knowing what to do with

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      JJ overpair until turn

Bogdan, you are so fast.... I had not read your review when started writing my opinion :D

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q:diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

According to Equilab, we have 41% equity.

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7h7c }
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Erevos
      I live in Greece and things are pretty messed up and unclear in every aspect.
      About poker, luckily, the prohibition did not work in the end.
      Here is a short news article: http://pokerfuse.com/news/law-and-regulation/greek-gaming-regulation-under-fire-18-12/
      Ιnference: I enjoy the game and wil continue to slowly improve :f_biggrin:
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOMEWORK #4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      QQ=overpair not knowing what to do with

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      JJ overpair until turn

Bogdan, you are so fast.... I had not read your review when started writing my opinion :D

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q:diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

According to Equilab, we have 41% equity.

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7h7c }
      Ah I see. Well I'm glad you can still play poker.

Q1/2/3 look fine. I like how much effort you actually put into the two hands (the one you posted and the response).

Keep it up.