[NL2-NL10] NL2SH A9o BB vs SB nit

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Villain is 18/15 on 36 hands and steal is CO: 0/4 BU: 2/5 SB: 2/3

If you don't mind, please answer my two questions about the hand and tell me if my "step1 and step2" for each seems apropriate. Thanks!

Poker Stars $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $4.51
      SB: $2.07
      Hero (BB): $2.14
      UTG: $5.28
      MP: $2.25
      CO: $1.12

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with 9 :heart: A :diamond:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.04

Question 1) 3bet range. I thinkA9o is just a call but what range should I 3bet with?

step1: I make an estimate of his range; 22+, Ax, K8+, QT+

step2: Decide on my value-range and semibluff range. How does TT+ AJs+ AQo+ sound for value and A2s-A5s and 76s-89s as my semibluff range sound?

Flop: ($0.12) 2 :club: K :diamond: A :spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.28) Q :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

River: ($0.64) 7 :heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Question 2) river value. In this spot villain seems a little tight to me so I opt to check back river. Its close though and against more normal opponents I'm making a bet here every time.

step1: What range does he bet river? what range does he Check/Call? He bets AJ+ A7 and A2 and he C/C A9 AT and A8? I can see A6 folding if he's tight.

step2: Decide on my own value range; Obviously two-pairs sets that I slowplayed (although I don't think I do anymore) AT+ for sure, A9 is starting to feel marginal.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DaPhunk,

Question 1) 3bet range. I thinkA9o is just a call but what range should I 3bet with?

Way too dependent as everything in poker. What's your postflop skill, what's your understanding of the board, what kind of opponent we are against, what's our idea with the 3bet, what we planning to do vs a 4bet, what we planning to do if he calls. And so on... there are tons of questions I could ask and according to that I would base either to 3bet, what to 3bet, why to 3bet. There is no 3bet chart in poker as it's for beginner's starting hand chart.

A9 for example is a decent hand which can easily be called and played postflop cause it has decent equity to play vs him. Though at the same time vs nitty range we may even want to just 3bet instead. ;) So there is even for this hand no simple and default line to take.

step1: What range does he bet river? what range does he Check/Call? He bets AJ+ A7 and A2 and he C/C A9 AT and A8? I can see A6 folding if he's tight.

Obviously he isn't betting bluffs on the river which I rarely doubt, so it's not that difficult to guess, with smaller bet he is block-betting some decent Ax hands, stronger bets most likely go for value which is 2pairs+. :)

What we bet? That range what we also expect to be ahead, so starting from most likely 2pairs. According to opponent we may loosen it up.

Best Regards.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      So you start betting two pairs on river for value and check back AJ in this case?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      So you start betting two pairs on river for value and check back AJ in this case?
      If I assume he is a nitty player then yeah, most likely skip thin value-hands and take a look with what he is playing this way and barreling which might be even more profitable for future.