This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4SH - AA - fold in 3b pot

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Flop: I think villain is capable of having the following range: QQ-66,ATs+,KJs+,QJs,ATo+,KJo+,QJo

Is this reasonable? What would you give villain here?

My line on the F is just to b/f because:
      1) value/protection vs weaker pairs and draws
      2) I don't think villain is aggressive enough to x/rai with worse ( TP / draws for eg)
      3) vs a x/rai I think villain will show me 99/88/TT very often

Turn: Lots of hands get there (AQ/JJ/QQ/KQ). I am only ahead of KJ or AJ. I think b/f will be expensive and not many worse hands can call. My plan was to just x/beh and x/f R to most bets unless I hit a set. I did not plan to bluff induce, I don't think villain is aggressive enough.

Should I just b/f anyway?

River: If villain makes a thin value here with KJ then calling river is profitable. If not it is a must fold. If he only makes a thin value bet with AJ then it is also a fold because I am not getting the required pot odds given my equity vs opp's range. I need about 25% right?

1) Villain "value bets" AJ/KJ:

Board: 9:heart: 8:club: T:diamond:  J:spade:  2:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP3    66.67%  66.67%   0.00% { QQ, 77, JdJh, JdJc, JhJc, ThTs, ThTc, TsTc, 9d9s, 9d9c, 9s9c, 8d8h, 8d8s, 8h8s, AhJh, KdJd, KhJh, KcJc, QdJd, QhJh, QcJc, AhJd, AhJc, AsJd, AsJh, AsJc, KdJh, KdJc, KhJd, KhJc, KsJd, KsJh, KsJc, KcJd, KcJh, QdJh, QdJc, QhJd, QhJc, QsJd, QsJh, QsJc, QcJd, QcJh }
      CO     33.33%  33.33%   0.00% { AdAc }

2) Villain "value bets" AJ and x/c's KJ

Board: 9:heart: 8:club: T:diamond:  J:spade:  2:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP3    85.71%  85.71%   0.00% { QQ, 77, JdJh, JdJc, JhJc, ThTs, ThTc, TsTc, 9d9s, 9d9c, 9s9c, 8d8h, 8d8s, 8h8s, AhJh, QdJd, QhJh, QcJc, AhJd, AhJc, AsJd, AsJh, AsJc, QdJh, QdJc, QhJd, QhJc, QsJd, QsJh, QsJc, QcJd, QcJh }
      CO     14.29%  14.29%   0.00% { AdAc }

PartyGaming - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $4.23
      SB: $2.75
      BB: $4.73
      UTG: $6.04
      MP: $4.21 31/22/1/12/30/461 hands - LP
      Hero (CO): $4.00

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.06) Hero has A:club: A:diamond:

fold, MP raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, fold, fold, MP calls $0.34

Flop: ($1.06, 2 players) 9:heart: 8:club: T:diamond:
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.50, MP calls $0.50

Turn: ($2.06, 2 players) J:spade:
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.06, 2 players) 2:diamond:
      MP bets $0.98, fold

MP wins $1.96
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think your pre-flop range is reasonable. I personally think he might 4-bet with QQ and also with AK

I would prefer betting flop 0.6$ and since there should not be too many T9 or 98 combos in his range I would likely play for stacks- if I loose then only 88/99. Players can sometimes attack these boards, since AK missed and it shows also a lot of profit if we b/f there aces.

I agree that standard line would be check back turn and folding to river bet, but that case you´re giving up the pot. Mostly players should not bluff there, so you should be fine checking turn and folding river- also if you want you can always mix up checking back KQ, AQ or sets.

I don´t think you can bet turn, since you´re not ahead 50% that makes turn bet profitable, so only reason to bet turn would turn your hand into bluff and try make two pairs, 7x or sets to fold.

best regards,
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Thanks Kaitz,

I personally think he might 4-bet with QQ and also with AK

The only reason I include these in his range is because I think he can sometimes flat AK/QQ. If I think he almost always 4b's then I would exclude them.

I would likely play for stacks- if I loose then only 88/99.

Ah, this makes sense. Is this because he has fewer combos of hands that beat us than in a normal raised pot and just because we don't expect him to be calling 3b's with those hands?

As a rule of thumb, should we be more willing to play for stacks in 3b pots?

I don´t think you can bet turn, since you´re not ahead 50% that makes turn bet profitable, so only reason to bet turn would turn your hand into bluff and try make two pairs, 7x or sets to fold.

This makes a lot of sense. Don't think I would try it against this villain however.

Cheers
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

general suggestion is that you need very good reason to b/f strong overpairs (especially KK/AA) in 3-bet pots. If players are nits and only get all-in with sets, then it is fine, but against some looser opponents you should see enough times worse hands, that bet/shove is usually the better play

You miss or have enough times marginal hands which you can b/f

best regards,