[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH 99 cold call

• seanspurs87
      seanspurs87
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $5 (100 bb)
      MP: $5.20 (104 bb) 15/12 after 30 hands
      Hero (CO): $5.45 (109 bb)
      BTN: $5.60 (112 bb)
      SB: $5.75 (115 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9 9
      MP raises to $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.57) 2 7 5 (2 players)
      MP bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.27) T (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.27) 8 (2 players)
      MP bets $0.75, Hero???

Hello, I'm never really sure what to do with these middle pocket pairs. They're too strong to lay down and if I 3bet/fold I am laying down a pretty good hand. Anyways I decide to call mainly because there is a fish in the blinds with 48 VPIP. Anyways the flop seems pretty decent for us no strong draws, no overcards, obviously I'm wary that I could be way behind so decide to just call. On the turn I opt for checking behind. Thinking about it now I'm not really sure why, maybe because I didn't think the board was very dangerous and don't really want to play for a big pot here. Anyways the river is pretty blank. Can I call here, villain could be on overcards here and is bluffing, don't feel he is on Tx as surely he would have bet. Probably would have bet overpairs on turn as well but who knows.

Thanks
  • 1 reply
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hi seanspurs87,

I like your play until the turn.

Preflop calling is really our only option.

On the flop our hand is pretty strong and he can have lots of missed Ax combos/KQ.

On the turn when he checks I think we are better betting to take it down as any overcard would suck for our range and he is basically telling us that he has no pair most of the time.

Best regards.