Starting limits (PartyPoker)

• sinboy88
      Hello all! Fresh faced newbie(ish) here.

Here's my story,

I love STT's and MTT's but hate playing cash! I'm no good at cash at all. I'm studying the articles as well as books (Phil Gordon's) to improve my cash play.

My problem is this: I registered with Party Poker for the $50 but all their $1 STT's are speed/turbo events which don't suit my gameplay at all. Even though I only have 16xbuy in for $3 STT's, should I start playing them? They're 10 minute blinds which suit me better.

Your opinions please, what should be the minimum in your bankroll for x buy in's in STT's/MTT's?

• 2 replies
    • Drakhor
      I wouldn't play micro SnG's (<$11) on Party at all because the rake is much too high, but for the $11 ones you should have at least a bankroll of $500 according to some coaches.

The buy-in for a tournament shouldn't be more than 1 or 2% of your bankroll (here again opinions vary).

I know how you feel, I don't really like cash game either and think I'm also a better tourney player, but playing SSS (Short Stack Strategy) in cash games is 1) a good way to build up your bankroll enough to play the $11 SnG's eventually and 2) also good for collecting the needed (standard) PartyPoints for your bonus. If I remember well, you only get 1 PP for every dollar rake in SnGs, which is only the case in the $11 ones.

After all, you know how it is: You play tourneys for the fame, but you play cash game for the money. ;)
    • Gerv
      SSS is the easiest way to build up your bankroll. And concerning SnGs, SSS also gives an insight in how/when to push certain hands etc.

Good luck ;)