skirhead

• skirhead
      skirhead
      Bronze
      Hi!
      To begin with I'm sorry for my English, but it's not my native language.

I would say I'm pretty beginning poker player. I played a bit some time ago, but i only lost my starting $50. Now I'm back and gonna take it more seriously. I want to learn and see progress.
      Thanks in advance for any advice and support.

Here is my homework for Lesson 1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

To be honest I want make money out of it and hopefully do it for living in future. Aside of that I want to become just a better player, I like the way the game is competitive and gives me adrenaline ;)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think I play too much with my cards not paying attention to what opponents do or can't get deduction of their moves. I don't look at hand as whole and don't plan how to play it. Sometimes when opponent shows aggression I lost my confidence. When playing against aggressor i play to much "fit or fold" - I'm not good at playing medium hands.
      I think that's all what i can think of right now.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means to play just some best hands preflop or those having potential to become ones in some situations and play them aggressively. It works because mostly you've got more chances to win against some random hands, you'll often hit better hand on the flop and later, you put you opponent under pressure and make decisions instead of react to them.

Thanks again :)
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

You shouldn't really worry about your English mate. ;) Most of the community members ain't talking English as native language.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • skirhead
      skirhead
      Bronze
      Homework for Lesson 2:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I would (and I do) limp less, rather play raise or fold. If we limp we allow into deal players with all kind of hands, we don't have initiative, if we hit we don't get value from our hands and so on. I learned it on pokerstrategy ;)
      I use this chart recognized as better by some people, only I usually 3bet just AA-QQ and 4bet AA and KK, not always though. What you reckon?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Ak nl4

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
      Hand 0: 46.442% 37.38% 09.07% 384008184 93133374.00 { AKo }
      Hand 1: 53.558% 44.49% 09.07% 457107468 93133374.00 { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

P.S. I'd be grateful for tips about playing hands like let's say TT-QQ postflop on boards with overcards. Thanks :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Whenever you get to know more about the opponents you also will be willing to play more hands. The same applies for isolating and of course for 3betting. In the beginning you rather want to learn the basics for preflop/postflop game and avoid difficult decisions.

P.S. I'd be grateful for tips about playing hands like let's say TT-QQ postflop on boards with overcards. Thanks

Best would be if you would post those hands, then we can take step by step as we would also know the opponent. There is no default line to take, there is always "depends", sometimes CB, sometimes not, sometimes even Check/Fold.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • skirhead
      skirhead
      Bronze
      Homework for Lesson 3:

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.

Done.

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Equity preflop:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Equity on flop:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

I would call since I need about 20% equity ( 0.22 / (0.91 + 0.22) ) and have about 36% chances to get nut flush draw. Also my equity against 66-22 (sets and straight) is still 19%, but he may have some draws or pairs too. I probably would be able to get some money from villain on river if I hit my flush.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

JJ nl4
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
    • skirhead
      skirhead
      Bronze
      Ok, Thanks :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Skirhead,

1) Looks good. What did you learn from this exercise?

2) Do you consider all the outs live? For example a 3 or 6 would pair the board.

With 9 outs for the flush we have roughly 19% chance to hit it on the river which is about the pot odds we get. Because our flush is a backdoor flush we have a bigger chance to get payed, thus our implied odds are higher so calling is fine.

3) Your hand was answered a while back ;) . If you have any questions please free to post them.

And don't forget to post more hands in the evaluation forum. There is also a coaching I run every Sunday that may help you along the way. Details can be found here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/176691/