How to play the mid game? (6-MAX)

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      This part of the game always seems to confuddle me. I play very tight in the early stages, and ICM trainer gives me very good ideas of what ranges to push with when it gets to the end of the game but never so sure exactly how tight or loose to play in the middle.

I know I have to play very positionally, I guess I'm opening around the top 20-40% from the sb/dealer and then cbetting half pot in almost all cases. But what about the other positions? What kinds of hands can I open, or limp behind with, or call with? Any basic advice on this part of the game would be much appreciated!
  • 5 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      6-max is way different than FR games. It's a huge topic to be covered just in post, but I will try to give you the basics here:

-you should widen up your steal range by a lot when in late position-40-50% steal from the BTN during the early/mid stages is not something uncommon
      -you should improve your postflop significantly as you will be play more marginal hands, hence u find yourself in more marginal spots, so u need better knowledge to stay away from harm
      -you play for first place mostly. Risk aversion is less, you should be willing to re-steal more, to get yourself into more marginal situations
      -when opening from the SB- you have to be very, I mean very cautious. It's very player dependent. So is the cbet %. You should think of what your opponent's range is, what you rep, what takes him to fold etc, before putting chips into the pot
      -improve HU. Most of the 6-max games are 70:30 or 65:35, so you need to be:
      a) willing to accumulate more chips during the game, so you end up as being the chip leader on the bubble/HU
      b) have very good understanding and basics of HU 10-25 eff. BI play
      -u very rarely limp. If you want to play a hand, you usually raise or iso
      -you will need to build a bluff 3bet, sometimes even 4 and 5 bet dynamics vs other regs as they will do what's mentioned above- steal a very wide range IP and you certainly don't wanna play OOP vs a good player + you want to take advantage of his weak range by making him fold with your re-steals.

In my eyes, an SnG player development goes as follows- FR, SH and then maybe HU. HU is the ultimate game.

Cheers!
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice, a lot of good stuff in there, though I think a lot also depends on the level. I'm still playing in the absolute micros against mostly fish, so especially abusing the bubble doesn't really work so well as they really call WAYYYYYY too much and I get caught holding 69 against JT or A2o type hands.

Also Its hard to steal too loose for the same reason. Just wondering though, what kind of hands could I be playing from the CO with 20-30bbs? This is the kind of area I'm most confused. If there are any good 6 handed sng vids or articles around please send me their way also! So seems everything is aimed at full ring. Oh, the reason I play 6 max is because my site that I like doesnt have full ring games on it :( Otherwise I would.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      CO with 20-30bb is tricky. Depends a lot on the opponents yet to act. If they are call or 3bet happy-be tight. If they are tight-open wider. Usually, I would open 20-25% as a general rule and adjust that according to my opponents!

And yep- bubble abuse vs fishes on micro stakes is definitely not a good idea. Just open playable hands as u would expect more flats pre. Limp/stab more bvb instead of shoving, no matter that it would be any 2 according to icm etc.

Cheers!
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      How many blinds can I limp/stab with? As in when should i start pushing against fish? And what about on the btn with the big stack on the bubble? Also limp stabbing will work?
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Vs loose passive fish f.e. I much rather limp/stab 96o for 8-9bb than making a marginal push. I think the lowest I would go is 7-8bb eff for limp/stabbing and 8bb+ for min/raise-folding. But I wouldn't min raise vs a passive fish for 8bb to begin with unless I am trapping with QQ+.

As for the btn- it depends on so many factors- effective stack sizes, game flow, opponents in the blinds etc. As most fishes are passive and unaware of risk aversion, effective stack sizes, odds etc pushing something within nash, just because they have to call "tight"is pretty wrong. So, yes, you can go limping the btn with playable hands like 8ts not to blow up the pot. Especially when u know it's very unlikely u r gonna get iso shoved or raised pre.