Building a preflop bu range vs resteal NLholdem

• livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      I was watching the video of preflop math by Internet. I have a question about how to build a button range against a re-steal range. I have the following example:

Let's say we open 100% of our range on the button. Villian is in the bb and 3bets us to 8bb. (Villian plays 22/18 and 3bets 10%, fold to steal 80%).
      Lets say his 3bet range is TT+, A2s+, KQs, T9s, 98s, AJo+, KQo 10,41%.

Our opening size is 2bb. BB re-steal has to work 67% of the time to be profitable.

If you want to not let BB steal profitably you have to defend 33%? Is this correct?

My second question: what is the best way to determine our defend range against villian. How does (does it even) the 10% 3bet stat affect that you have to defend 33% of the time. Or am I talking bullshit right now?

Really would like to hear some advise on this. Maybe someone could give me a math example if that's possible.
  • 4 replies
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      Well first this stuff is GTO - so it gives us a rough idea what to do in a vacuum.
      if BB 3bets 5% then im playing v. fof, if he 3b 15%+ then ill defend wider than the 33% required.

As for which hands to choose - depends on the nature of villains light 3b range.
      • Vs a depolarized range (like the one here): its hard to defend by flatting cause we wont dominate his range + no initiative.
      Whats the thing we hate the most in villains shoes? its to 3bet oop ATo and facing a 4b. 3b/fold such a hand is miserable.
      so ill increase my 4b bluff range vs him. and would flat hands that wont put me into tough-dominated spots like T9s, 76s etc.
      Make sure you construct a balanced 4bet range tho - cause BB has now the option of reshoving and with such a depolarized range hell find plenty of hands that have good allin equity. (a 50/50 ratio is good as a 5b jam for villain usually needs to work ~ 55% at 100bb. mite be hard to do if we 4bet >12-15% in frequency).
      So 4b/call 99+, AQ+ is generally doing okay and allows us to have a decent 4b/fold range (dont have equilab now but id say our 4b range for value is about 5-6% so we are "entitled" to 4b/fold about the same). I generally pick up the A9s-a2s, K9s-K5s, Q9s-Q5s hands. easy to remember, blocker, its suited, has high cards/can win at SD sometimes etc).

• Vs a polarized range/top of folding range (like 86s, 45s, A7s, K7s): flatting AQ-AT, A9s, KQ-KT, QJs and stuff becomes much more appealing as we dominate his range. and conversely 4betting and making villain fold 45s is less appealing.

so thats how i choose the hands - have to know the nature of the 3bet range basically.

NB: well in your example youll need to 4b or call much wider than the above ranges/frequencies given how wide you open your btn ^^. But its usually "only" 20% of your hands you have to defend (if we open 60%ish) - when starting to go into some sick preflop wars, most of us forget that the FIRST adaptation to do is - not to defend wider 85s shit and 4bet any high card we see - but to OPEN TIGHTER. allows us to have better freq.
      This point mite not be that relvant in your example as well have position postlfop but it SO CRUCIAL CO vs good BTN.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I dun think u shuld care abt his resteals so mcuh. If he is onlly reraising aa then its gonna be profitable and we should never defend . U shuld think abt exploiting his tight rs range by stealing even wider

Rmb that u need both blinds to fold 56% of the time since u risk 2 to win 1,5
      If both of them only resteal 10 % of the time and assuming u can breakeven w initiative and position when vilain calls then u can profit a lot
    • lnternet
      lnternet
      Bronze
      You have to strongly distinguish between theoretic and exploitive play

Theoretically, you can have initial situation of a BT open raise to 2bb with 100% range and then facing a 3bet to 8bb from the BB. Then the question is, facing this action, what is a good defense?

Exploitively, you ask differently. You ask, given a 10% 3bet range to 8bb, how should I play 32o...AA ?

In the first case the answer will be something like 60% folds, 20% calls, 20% 4bets, or so (dont quote me on the exact numbers), and that will be a solid base strategy.

In the second case, the answer will be like "AK 4b, AQ-AJ call, AT fold" and that will be a strategy specifically against 10% 3bet range.

If you know your opponent only 3bet 10% vs BT then you should probably open raise 100% and fold to 3bet 80%, thereby exploiting his tendency to not defend enough.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by livethelife7
      I was watching the video of preflop math by Internet. I have a question about how to build a button range against a re-steal range. I have the following example:

Let's say we open 100% of our range on the button. Villian is in the bb and 3bets us to 8bb. (Villian plays 22/18 and 3bets 10%, fold to steal 80%).
      Lets say his 3bet range is TT+, A2s+, KQs, T9s, 98s, AJo+, KQo 10,41%.

Our opening size is 2bb. BB re-steal has to work 67% of the time to be profitable.

If you want to not let BB steal profitably you have to defend 33%? Is this correct?

My second question: what is the best way to determine our defend range against villian. How does (does it even) the 10% 3bet stat affect that you have to defend 33% of the time. Or am I talking bullshit right now?

Really would like to hear some advise on this. Maybe someone could give me a math example if that's possible.
      you meant "If you want to not let BB re-steal profitably you have to defend 33%? Is this correct?", right?

If I understand you correctly, by folding 80% and 3bet 10% from BB (vs hero ATS=100), villain doesn't ATTACK hero's strategy. Hero can fold to re-steal 100% and still profit.