playing low pairs

• easyas1
      easyas1
      Bronze
      I was just wondering how u lot played low pairs i always seem to play them really bad, i never now if u raise preflop or call and try a get a 3 of a kind

when i mean low pair i mean hands such as:

i normally just call and hope for 3 of a kind if not i normally just fold, or get sucked into betting :( which i desperatly need to improve.

any tips?
  • 5 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      read the articles and all will be clear. Fold first in in early position. Limp in middle position. Raise first in, in late position. Call raises to the call 20 rule.

FOLD if you dont hit a set on the flop.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I actually tend to raise them when first in from MP too, as raising gives me an exact idea where I am after the flop,and i usually can win it on a convinient flop even if i dont hit. But as i assume you are playing microstakes, just stick to the basic SHC. And y, fold them if you dont hit a set, playing them otherwise is tricky
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      read the articles and all will be clear. Fold first in in early position. Limp in middle position. Raise first in, in late position. Call raises to the call 20 rule.

FOLD if you dont hit a set on the flop.

Hi easyas1,

read this article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/581/4/

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • AlLaf
      AlLaf
      Bronze
      I for one think it all depends on how comfortable and confident in your post-flop play you feel, if playing deep, of course. SSSing, the question is totally irrelevant, but with deeper stacks, I tend to show lots of aggro with any PP. Seriously. And yet, I am borderline nitty (running approx. 17/11/2.7 when deep-stacking)

I used to flat-call limper(s) with any 88+, but I quickly realized I didn't stack villains as frequently as when I raised pre-flop AND hit a set. Which brings me to my second factor to set up a line with PP; depends what your line is actually: what money are you willing to put in with your unimproved hand. They say you should never enter a pot without a clear plan.Thus, your plan will factor in on how you will play that hand, and with PP, the best default line is setmining, imo. And well, this is cash play (getting stacked is not the end of the world, far from it), so I tend to disagree with flolding PPs pre-flop, even from EP or facing raise(s) when the pot odds and/or implied odds are good enough, of course... Still, you HAVE to be able to let it go anytime post-flop... I know I did tend to get married to my beautiful PPs and would thus lose way too much money... That's why I started calling limpers instead of raising, since I just couldn't get away from my hockey sticks, for instance, if I didn't hit the flop but still cbet it and got raised... Fortunately, I have learned... Well, I like to think I have actually ;) ...

If the pot is already raised, then it's really easy again; simply follow the 5/10 rule for setmining (I haven't read the article linked in a post above, but I'm guessing it's roughly the same Stack-to-Raise ratio kinda stuff...): for those unfamiliar with this rule of thumb, here it is in a nutshell:

Always call a raise that is <=5% than effective stack in the hand
      Never call a raise that is >=10% than effective stack in the hand
      And 6-9% is up to you, but I would advise to call most of the time, around 60%-40%, calling more when closer to 5% of course. And, as one of the 2+2ers said in that thread, "never setmine against a set miner" :) . That goes for micro-stakes, since I haven't played any other limits, and would not dare to post about those ;) .

Anyway, that's how I play my small PPs in deep-stack cash games atm. I'm guessing I'll fiddle around again at some point since I constantly want to better my game, obviously :) .
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      I used to play them very passively, just calling and calling but now I am raising them very lightly.. On tight tables I do it even UTG sometimes but if in MP first in, I definitely raise. Exception maybe loose tables with people 3-betting a lot.

It's easier to trap people this way because if you hit, they will sometimes believe that you're just making the normal conti bet and call/raise lightly - and you build the pot easier - with a set you want a big pot don't you :)

Many times I just get the blinds or take it down via a conti bet, but it really depends on the table.

It's pity when they 3-bet you because you can't call most times unless there are other people who called the 3-bet and you get your desired implied odds. But that's the only problem

I feel comfortable playing them this way, besides it's harder for people to read me. What I mean is that a limp in early position done by a regular screams "low pocket", and it's very easy to exploit this(isolation raise and conti bet.. they fold if they do not hit the set).