What to do if you flop a set?

• 7 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      depends on players, board, positions, dynamics, etc

if you want some one-fits-all advice though i'd go with (check)raise the flop and go from there, you can rarely go wrong like that
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I generally also check raise but this is because I also check raise with strong draws and sometimes with air when I think my opponent is full of it. If you don't normally check-raise with any other hands, even thicko opponents will usually realize you have a monster and fold.

Check/calling on a very dry board and then donking the turn also is pretty good for confusing the villain. It also means that if you get called down while doing this you can easily float bluff later representing a set.

If the board is very drawy you don't want to check raise, you straight up bet to protect. There are very few flops/villains where you'll be folding a set on the flop, but with nasty turn and river cards you may want to start playing for pot control/even folding.

But as Tomaloc said, it is very player dependent. Some factors you want to consider are:
      1. Who is the preflop aggressor? Is your opponent likely to bet if you check?
      2. Can you allow a free card if your opponent checks behind?
      3. Are you in or out of position?
      4. Does your opponent often bet/fold or bet/call the flop?
      5. How strong do you think your opponents hand is?
      6. Many more factors that I can't think of at the moment.

Sometimes you will just get a totally delicious set like 22 on AK2 rainbow, other times 55 on 567 suited. Set strength is relative.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      get value :f_biggrin:

experiment. as previously mentioned, it REALLY depends on board texture, image, histroy, villain type and position. assess all of these factors and conclude. if it sounds like a lot to take note of then all you can do is practice :)

one thing is true though: don't slowplay!

as a rule of thumb, if your opponent is really passive, then you will have to bet for him because he won't do it! if your opponent is aggressive, then it makes sense to check/raise because he will actually bet for you and hopefully level himself into stacking off when you click back :)

Originally posted by metza
      Set strength is relative.
      +1

good luck flopping sets

Lewis.
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      I generally also check raise but this is because I also check raise with strong draws and sometimes with air when I think my opponent is full of it. If you don't normally check-raise with any other hands, even thicko opponents will usually realize you have a monster and fold.

Check/calling on a very dry board and then donking the turn also is pretty good for confusing the villain. It also means that if you get called down while doing this you can easily float bluff later representing a set.

If the board is very drawy you don't want to check raise, you straight up bet to protect. There are very few flops/villains where you'll be folding a set on the flop, but with nasty turn and river cards you may want to start playing for pot control/even folding.

But as Tomaloc said, it is very player dependent. Some factors you want to consider are:
      1. Who is the preflop aggressor? Is your opponent likely to bet if you check?
      2. Can you allow a free card if your opponent checks behind?
      3. Are you in or out of position?
      4. Does your opponent often bet/fold or bet/call the flop?
      5. How strong do you think your opponents hand is?
      6. Many more factors that I can't think of at the moment.

Sometimes you will just get a totally delicious set like 22 on AK2 rainbow, other times 55 on 567 suited. Set strength is relative.

Prime 333: I really like Metza's answer.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      smile
    • spaznRNMD
      spaznRNMD
      Basic
      HU and Multiway connected board : raise big like you are sreaming you have an ace high flushdraw, you'd be surprise how many people reshove to gamble

Dry board hu :

one move i like particulary against aggressive opponents who tends to 3 barrel are : check call check call check shove

another one effective in hu: lead flop lead turn lead river. Many players dont give you any credits when you take this line

Dry board multiway

If im in the position to lead i always do it as it show too much strenght to checkraise those kind of boards

if someone lead before me i just call then beg big turn and river
    • GrrrRistic
      GrrrRistic
      Bronze
      If ur on late pos n its ###.. players,u want 2 act like donk n raise,also if u r PFR specially in UTG!
      So,what do u think guys ?!