[NL20-NL50] SH50 A8s villain raises flop

• circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $97.42 (194.8 bb)
      BB: $53.95 (107.9 bb)
      MP: $72.22 (144.4 bb)
      CO: $15.53 (31.1 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $56.95 (113.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 A
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, SB folds, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.75) 7 K J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.75, BB raises to $5, Hero ?

At this point my hand is irrelevant.

Villain looks decent, resteal ~10%, raise cb ~25-30%, only 150 hands, plays 20/16. He has mostly draws here, so what is the correct approach? Call and jam all blanks on the turn? By blank I mean no heart, no A, no 9.

What do you think about this play? He can have KJ and 77, but that's about it.
  • 6 replies
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Black
      His raise cbet stat is huge so far, so I'd consider checking behind flop.
      Flop cbet doesnt accomplish much, mainly expose us to his (semi)bluffs. I dont think that jamming with air would be the right strategy against this guy, but bluffing less, and playing back with our valuehands, stacking off lighter against his flop raises, chRaises (TPGK+, nutflushdraws etc.)...
      That requires some patience till we find one, I know... :)
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      The thing is his range is super polarised towards draws here. So if I call and he bricks the turn, what can he do if I just shove? ...whether he bets or not. He's just gonna sit there like an idiot because he can't call.
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Black
      Originally posted by circoflax
      The thing is his range is super polarised towards draws here. So if I call and he bricks the turn, what can he do if I just shove? ...whether he bets or not. He's just gonna sit there like an idiot because he can't call.
      I dont get it, why would you want to beat an aggro, bluffy guy with more bluffing? It's not the 'who has the biggest one' competition... :D We dont even know him much (150 hands is not a big sample), and all we gain is huge variance.
      Why not stop bluffing, and let him pay your (light) valuehands?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello circoflax,

You can't really say that he isn't Check/Raising in those for value Kx holdings as KQ/AK. Cause clearly he is able to do that, if not KQ then at least AK type of folding still. Especially if he has backdoor equity himself as FD.

Assuming that he is rather aggressive we might even want to Check behind in those spots on the flop and reevaluate the turn cause clearly we may improve there and he might also be clueless how to make your pair type of hands to fold with single Bet. Cause clearly vs aggressive player we ain't folding Jx holdings here and may Check behind that as well.

If I am going to CB here then I must also have some kind of back-up plan. We can't just go for a CB and in hope that he is giving up easily or Calls against us. Those type of guys tend also to play more aggressive in those spots and not even with just draws but also backdoor draws. Especially whilst you also continue rather smaller part of the range here but clearly his play is also hardly exploited and rather bad to Check/Raise such a board. So which means I'd just abuse him by making loose call-downs when I have a hand instead of playing back without having any known dynamics or what's the most important thing here to know Hero's image as well.

Best Regards.
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      1st, I was kinda auto cbetting this board, A high + backdoor to nuts I think is pretty cbetable.... I want him to fold his pairs and maybe call me with some straight draws for that price. Once I got raised I opened the popup and I have noticed he has already done so several times in those few hands. I don't have any type of raise_flop on my hud, I already have 24 numbers...

But I don't think that really applies here, as he can't really represent anything but a draw. Why on earth would he raise KQ here totaly beats me. Suppose he is doing that, what does he expect he is getting called by. No decent draws are folding for that price. It would be really improbable for him to have AK or JJ. So why not just punish him for this?

And I'm planning to ship the turn to make some AT, AQ type of hands fold too, all lower pairs and whatever. Perhaps he even folds a K here, but seriously, why would he do that with a K. I've seen some people do that with a K3 in such a spot, maybe they were figuring "well a lot of better Kx are gonna fold, so I'm left with draws and AK+". So if he's one of those guys, how is he going to call a huge bet on the turn?

I still think this move may be +EV and those few times we get a call we may be ahead!

About the backup plan, veriz, you would check back, ok I get it. But what's the plan on brick turn, cause this guy is most likely betting his entire range vs missed CB.
      What about diamond turn? Call or raise?
      Hope for an A and no more than one bet from him?
      How else are we going to win this pot?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, the problem for you here is that you are only putting him on a PURE bluff or nothing else. You can't just see him having something like 77/small part of JJ/KJo/KJs/K7s/J7s, sometimes maybe even J7o which is raising for value here. You still saying that's a small range? Or you want to tell me that he can't call those hands? Why wouldn't he call vs a BTN range which is even just 2,5x, he is getting decent odds and with his aggressiveness postflop seems he also understand how to play those hands in vacuum. Though obviously he is overdoing and raising wrong boards.

Vs unknown obviously we almost always CB here, vs a guy who Raises us a lot and know what we have a wide range and included all pairs I would just Check behind and reevaluate the turn.

What I'd do on turn? Of course just call cause clearly raising doesn't NEVER-EVER make sense cause any strong hands you Bet the flop. ;) As you said yourself even, you sometimes expect to be ahead with your Ace high, so not why with nutFD?

And now easy and simple question to you? Why do you need to win every single pot vs an aggressive player? ;) Why not abuse him whilst we have a medium strength hand and then let him pay off?