Study Group for Asia/Australia Evenings

• PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Hi all,
      I'm an American living in Hokkaido, Japan.

I'm aiming to make a study group of people based around Asia and Australia. In general this could be from Time Zones UTC+7 to UTC+11. I'm in Japan which is UTC+9.
      I'd like to be able to coordinate evening meetings during the week. So people in the same general time zone area could easily arrange this.

(This group could include others with schedules to meet meet in their mornings/days/afternoons/whatever, but times would be based in Eastern Asia for, honestly, my convenience, and hopefully others in this part of the world who want to join the group.)

Myself, I play NL5 FullRing at the moment, and plan to improve and continue moving up. Hopefully this group could be for others of a similar range, level, and/or interest. :D

We'd focus on short group discussions of hands and session sweats similar to the live (and recorded) coachings that PokerStrategy offers. We'll have Skype or Google+ meetings once a week. In addition, members would be partnered up for a couple weeks, alternating occasionally, for one-on-one Hand Review and Live Play Sweat Sessions.

If you're interested or have any questions, please 1) post a reply and 2) send me a friend request in the Community Links.

Thanks, and best of luck!
  • 54 replies
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Just to clarify again, this is not only for people living in Asia and/or Australia.

If you are in Europe, but are sometimes or often free in the afternoons, then that time would line up perfectly for Asian/Australian evenings. If you are in Canada, Brazil, or any other place in North/South America, and up in the mornings with freetime and energy to study poker, that would work fine too!

I'm thinking something like UTC+9 (time zone) 20:00-24:00 as a zone for meeting times. Though of course we wouldn't have 4 hour meetings. That would just be the area where hopefully people are free for an hour a couple times a week.
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      So, Just another bump and update.
      I just listened to the PokerStrategy Podcast and they will be starting a new forum just for groups. It seems that they'll be organizing small pods of 3-5 people of like-minded goals and similar situations. I'll definitely be joining that, but I would love to try a group here (along side that) as well.
      Please don't hesitate to ask any questions at all!
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Just a last bump. If anyone is interested in the least, hit me up! Otherwise maybe I'll see you in the new forum. (hopefully that starts tomorrow!)
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Hey mate,

I would be interested, I'm from QLD in Aus so GMT+10.

give us an add in the community and we can swap skypes.
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Sweet, I added you. Look forward to chatting!
    • graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      hey, I 2 am interested im in Korea so no problem on the time. evenings on the weekend is best for me
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Nice! I have requested you as a friend in community as well.
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Ill just have to wait to accept request when I go to the gym so I can use there computer because my internet times out everytime I try and acces the page haha.
    • betdraw
      betdraw
      Bronze
      Hey guys I am from Bulgaria and I am regularly free 4 days of the wweek during afternoons so I can deffo join if there is still place for a new :f_biggrin:
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Ok cool, We have 4 guys now. I have no problem with a couple more joining, but I think 4 people would be good enough for some pair sweat sessions as well as big enough for a group Hand Review or Sweat Session too.

I'll wait til we've all confirmed Skype names, then we can set up our first meeting. I'm thinking Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday night next week. :f_biggrin:
      See you soon!
    • graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      sorry guys but I cant find your friend request anywhere on the site? Where should I look?
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      At the top of the page there is a link with a small picture of three people. (it is to the right of 'Invite Friends', below 'Profile Settings', and to the left of the shopping cart).
    • graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      thanks found it
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      So, Graz, BigAl, BetDraw, and anyone else. I'd like to use this as the main place to send out messages. Sending messages via the Community links is a bit troublesome. Are you all ready for having a meet-up this week? I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesday Evening at GMT/UST+9 about 9pm. Let me know what you think. It is definitely adjustable!
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Hey
      Ive sent you a pm
      Please check
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Yup, I added you on Skype!

So, to everyone, we have a couple ways of communicating. We can just message each other on Skype. Even when someone is away, they can receive a message with it popping up at their next login.
      Or, we can just plan times through this thread.
      Or, we can share e-mails.
      I'd like to avoid the PokerStrategy Community messenger as it is a bit too simple. I can't send a message to multiple people and we can't have a group discussion there.

For our first group meeting I'd like to have everyone introduce themselves and then we can plan partner sweats, future meetings, and who will be observed for our first group sweat. It might be good if we each bring a couple trouble hands from our Hand Histories, but we'll see if we get to them...

How about Wednesday (Nov. 5th) at UTC+9, 10pm?
      Please let me know how this is for you all!
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      BetDraw is more free on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We can try this Thursday if it is better for everyone. I have hockey practice from 8:30-9:30, so I probably won't be free until 10:30pm (Japan time) or so...
      Looking forward to feedback!
      =)
    • graz187
      graz187
      Bronze
      thursday is no good for me this week but should be alright going forward also i need to sign up for a skpe account
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Ok, no problem. How about Wednesday this week?