UTG1 ($0.63)
      BU ($1.53)
      MP HrabriLavek ($2.00)
      MP1 ($0.99)
      SB ($3.75)
      CO ($2.00)
      UTG ($0.91)

ANTES/BLINDS

SB posts small blind $0.01, BB posts big blind $0.02.
      PRE-FLOP

UTG folds, UTG1 folds, HrabriLavek raises $0.10, MP1 folds, CO folds, BU folds, SB raises $0.29, BB folds, HrabriLavek calls $0.20.
      FLOP [TH, 9C, 3D]

SB bets $0.44, HrabriLavek raises $1.70 and is all-in, SB calls $1.26.
      TURN [TH, 9C, 3D, JC]

RIVER [TH, 9C, 3D, JC, 8S]

Showdown
      HrabriLavek mucks, SB shows [AS, AH]
      SB wins $3.82 from the main pot with pair.

Did I overplay them? Could have done something different?
  • 5 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      first of all, hello and welcome to the pokerstrategy forums! we hope that you enjoy your stay and find the content useful.

what is this hand format? it looks really ugly :P
      anyway, on to the hand:

preflop: do you have any specific reason as to why you open 5bb? then why do you just call when SB raises?
      as a default open to 4bb, and as it happened just 4bet and get it in.

flop: not much to do there while he could also have QQ and maybe even worse hands.

running KK into AA is just a standard cooler. :f_biggrin:
    • HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      party poker has stupid hand history format and when I copy it in hand converter it wont work (works for instant hand history from tables, but not the one they have on site)

as for 5bb open, thought if I had a strong hand like this, whoever is gonna call, is gonna call in micros regardless is it 4 or 5 bb, so might as well get more value

as for just calling, was afraid he had an Ax card, being Im on a cooler period, didnt want to shove and just get killed by some random ace on the flop, so wanted to see the flop first, once I saw it was sort of safe from ace and could be just a weak straight draw, I shoved it in...unlucky I got AAed :/

thanks for your reply, will try to 4bet next time in similar situation and evaluate if I get shoved or called
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you are welcome :)

Originally posted by HrabriLavek
      as for 5bb open, thought if I had a strong hand like this, whoever is gonna call, is gonna call in micros regardless is it 4 or 5 bb, so might as well get more value
      yeah, if you are at a weaker table you might be able to get away with that, fish also won't care about calling 2 extra cents. :f_biggrin:
      you should drop that play when you find yourself in tougher tables though. people WILL notice, specially after some hands finally get to showdown.

as for just calling, was afraid he had an Ax card, being Im on a cooler period, didnt want to shove and just get killed by some random ace on the flop, so wanted to see the flop first, once I saw it was sort of safe from ace and could be just a weak straight draw, I shoved it in...unlucky I got AAed :/
      that's weak thinking.
      whenever you get it in preflop with KK against a random Ax hand you are like a 70/30 favourite. if they want to get it in before the flop you should absolutely allow them to do it.

if they 3bet their Ax and miss the flop you won't be able to get their whole stack into the pot, maybe a continuation bet and that's it.
    • HrabriLavek
      HrabriLavek
      Bronze
      I see, when you put it that way :)

you could say my weak thinking was cuz of some bad beats I had in that session, but hey, its all part of the game and gotta stick to whats most profitable decision in the long run,

• Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      its all part of the game and gotta stick to whats most profitable decision in the long run
      this

poker is all about making the most profitable decisions.

it takes some mental game skillz though to keep your cool in those times where you just can't seem to win a flop, so when you feel that you are beginning to see monsters under the bed it's often a good idea to at least take a break and reevaluate. :f_biggrin: