BB: $2.91
      UTG: $4.92
      UTG+1: $2.43
      MP: $7.69
      CO: $3.82
      BTN: $3.00

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 5:club: 5:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, BB raises to $0.50, fold

I figure his preflop aggression and shortish stack make it unprofitable to call.
  • 5 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      good fold. :f_biggrin:

that said, how wide are you opening from SB?
      if you are opening pretty wide it's usually a good idea to raise smaller.

in this specific case, even if you aren't opening that wide, it's still a good idea to openraise smaller to give yourself more playing room against his smaller stack.
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      I see.
      But what about not wanting to give him too good of implied odds? I'm pretty tight from the SB, though I open up more against really tight players, and visa versa with loose players.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      do you mean pot odds?
      he is not fully stacked, which means worse implied odds for him as he can't ever win a full stack.

anyway yeah, if you are generally tight from the sb it is fair enough to open to 4bb as a default.

you might still want to make an exception against these mid/shortstackers though.
      that is mostly to give yourself more room to play around. (steal cheaper, can 4bet without commiting yourself, can get away in some postflop spots)

that specially applies if they are regulars and 3bet their fair share, and even more specially if they play exclusively raise or fold preflop. :f_biggrin:
      if they are fish though you might still want to open 4bb since you have a strong range, want more value and sometimes that may also be the difference between shipping and not shipping the river.

[edit: had a silly wording mistake, then took the opportunity to improve the post a little. :f_biggrin: ]
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Ok, cool,
      I get that. :)
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you are welcome :)

i noticed a silly wording mistake, so i also took out the opportunity to improve the post quality and edit in some more content that i happened to remember :D