Question on BSS about AQs AJs ATs

• mrbeast87
      mrbeast87
      Bronze
      I'm playing BSS for over a week and I don't understand why I should fold, e.g., AQs in middle position with one caller, but when I have KTs it's a call. It really would help me if you could clear that out for me.
  • 3 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hi mrbeast87

KTs will play better in a multiway pot since it is fairly speculative, whereas with AQ type hands you want to play against as few players as possible.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      the SHC is what it is - a starting point. if you look at the reasoning behind each action it will definitely help a little more than just playing a static range based on the charts. obviously they are great for beginners since not only do they build a solid foundation to start understanding what hands to play and what hands to fold, but actually teach us to pay special attention to other important variables such as position, number of opponents and their actions.

as you become more familiar with the game you will naturally deviate from these charts, but the number one most important thing to pay attention to is the reasoning for each action. for example, most people will explain that with a hand like AQ, it is probably better to isolate that limper when you are in MP. when villain limps, he is signalling a weak range - a range in which AQ is way ahead of. for that reason, you are raising for value.

playing according to the SHC will keep you out of trouble generally, but there are extreme limitations which i am sure you will come across as you work through the material on this site. if i remember correctly, hasenbraten's crushing nl50 outlines some of the limitations of SHC poker.

in my opinion, use the SHC as a vague guide. it is good that you have asked this question because it shows you are not just passively sticking to the SHC because it tells you to. the more you question it, the more you will learn of its limitations and the more you will understand better the reasoning behind each decision you make. but don't just deviate from it without good reason, at least in the beginning of your BSS career :)

hope that helps.
      Lewis.
    • mrbeast87
      mrbeast87
      Bronze
      Thanks Lewis, that was a great insight. Thanks a lot!