Mardy Bum's Blog.

• MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      The Speed Challenge

Best Song Of The Year In My Opinion!

Inspired by Mr Spungeh, I have decided to set myself a little challenge with the left over $'s in my iPoker bankroll. One because I have another blog elsewhere about my main roll and have neglected the blog I was going to start on this site and two because it's something I can go to when I'm not running great or need a break from whatever limits I am playing with my main roll.

After very little thought, I decided that as Speed/Zoom/Rush poker has always disagreed with me that would be the perfect game to play... Obviously! I was going to play at least 1k hands before I started this thread but iPoker is down for maintainence, so I may as well get the blog started now.

I'm probably going to stick to only playing one table so I can have maximum focus and finally beat this variant of poker, as I can fold all the trash I don't think I'll get bored and it should maximise my winrate (fingers crossed). As I only left about $60 in my account I'm starting at the bottom (as with most random self-challenges) which at iPoker is NL5.

First Graph!

So as you can see, I couldn't ask for a much better start than this up almost 5BI in just over 500 hands! What I would like to do though is try and keep that redline at the very least break-even. For no other reason than I hate seeing a downward trend. I going to use 20BI BRM for this, maybe a bit nitty for micro's, but Speed poker can be very swingy when I am involved... I will strive to play 20k speed hands per month for this challenge!
      Once the main bulk of my BR has been cleared from iPoker I will probably move to FT or Stars, as the constant disconnections on iPoker at the moment are stupidly regular and it's quite annoying.

This is the biggest pot I've played so far in my challenge! And here's a little game for you all - See if you can guess what I am holding! Going to do this for the biggest pot I win or lose between updates as long as people play along anyway!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $1.12
      MP2:
      $5.00
      MP3:
      $0.91
      CO:
      $4.76
      BU:
      $4.63
      SB (Hero):
      $11.49

Preflop: Hero is SB with ??
      MP2 raises to $0.10, 2 folds, BU calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.08, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.35) 4, 6, 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, BU bets $0.26, Hero calls $0.26, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($0.87) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.65, Hero raises to $1.30, BU raises to $4.27, Hero calls $2.97.

River: ($9.41) 5 (2 players)

Final Pot: $9.41.

Results follow:

BU shows two pairs, aces and fours(Jd Ah)

Look forward to your replies, and thoughts,

MMB (Super Fish) :f_cool:
  • 20 replies
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      44, 66?!

Gl with the challege
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      subscribed :)

I know the hand, so I wont cheat
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      In Full Swing

Epic skipping skills, and epic tuneage!

Hey Peche, thanks for reading and playing my little game! As no-one else has guessed and I wanted to make a post I may as well say I did infact hold 66! Gold star for you! Spungeh gets no stars as he guessed via Skype and had about 10 guesses before I ended up telling him anyway! :f_p:

So far I've managed to crank out 3.3k hands at Speed Poker, and I'm loving it that much I am finding it hard to stay away from the tables. So much so that if I am still playing this well when FTP re-opens I'll probably play Rush with my main roll as well. But then running at 41bb/100 it's hard not to be loving it even if I am playing lower stakes!

Graph!

Obviously a major swing in my favour, but other than the running good I am most proud of the fact my Redline is still keeping its self above the breakeven line. I even had a couple of coolers midway which included standard KK > AA and this hand. Ready your sick buckets it's far from pretty!

Play hand

Known players:
      BB:
      $6.06
      MP2 (Hero):
      $5.52
      MP3:
      $3.16
      CO:
      $14.91
      BU:
      $2.20
      SB:
      $5.16

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, K.
      Hero raises to $0.17, MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.58, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.81, CO calls $1.23.

Flop: ($3.69) 2, 5, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.76, CO raises to $5.52, Hero calls $0.95.

Turn: ($12.92) 4 (2 players)

River: ($12.92) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $12.92.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(K K).
      CO shows a straight, five high(A J). :f_confused:

CO wins with a straight, five high(A J).

As for my biggest hand since the last update, in terms of size/stake it's a pretty large one!

Play hand

Known players:
      BB:
      $5.75
      MP2 (Hero):
      $10.26
      MP3:
      $5.40
      CO:
      $5.57
      BU:
      $0.83
      SB:
      $10.19

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with ??
      Hero raises to $0.15, 3 folds, SB calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.45) 3, 5, 4 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.05, BB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.48, SB raises to $0.91, BB folds, Hero raises to $10.11, SB calls $9.13.

Turn: ($20.65) 8 (2 players)

River: ($20.65) K (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.65. :f_eek:
      Results follow:

SB shows three of a kind, fours(4 4).

So what am I holding?

I think that's about it for now, just wanted to post while the running is easy and the chips are generally flowing in my direction. I'm using HEM for this as I have some extreme issues with HM2 again (Plus it houses my main DB) and although I recently purchased PT4 at 50% cost due to an ad on a news article Manu posted in Skype(Many Thanks! :f_cool: ) I've only installed that on my laptop so far. I have got to say though how lovely HEM still works, it's fast, accurate, has no issues with multi-currencies and I'm loving the old school look!

Until next time, hope all your fish are deepstacked and spewy,

MMB (Happy Fish) :s_cool:
    • DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      You must have either A2, 67 or 55, you ain't stacking off with an overpair here (I hope, at least). I'd go for 67 though if I had to choose.

gl btw :D
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze

To obvious.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      67 sooted, not too sure about your flop sizing, why are you 4b shipping the flop? I think villian looks super strong ofc. he should be folding 44 here but if you make it $2.5 I don't think he'll get away from the hand as easily.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh

To obvious.
      :f_thumbsup:
    • SenaidaJackson
      SenaidaJackson
      Basic
      I know the hand, so I wont cheat
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      It's a been a while, and lots has happened in my little part of the poker world including NL50 shot (Yes, I got there!), I also nearly went busto and then was saved from the depths of doom by hitting 2 final tables in GTD MTT's on Full Tilt!

Bit of a chillin' out tune today.

I have had not only the mother of all rollercoaster rides at the Poker tables but also off them too, mostly to do with monitors and other PC things that are directly hindering me making much (if any) progress at the tables. I have gone from 2 x 23' monitors synced up beutifully to a dodgy 19' HD TV which has a max resoloution of 1280, and kind of limits any hope of multi-tabling. Then on top of all that I had to spend out £40 on upgrading just cables! £40 just for cables! I miss the days when a stanley knife and a matching connection was all you needed to sort out the mess of wires surrounding electrical things!

Anyway, back to the tables, and as I mentioned previously I had my shot at NL50 after only about 10K hands at NL25 and it was to big a jump to soon and although I've already played in many $100 pots the chance of dropping a full $50 easily at anytime somewhat haunted my experience and made it a rather dull affair and I only played for about 1k hands and ended up dropping a buyin and retreating back to NL25.

Anyway, after this I hit the mother of all swings, and I find it hard to say with confidence that it had nothing to do with my failed shot at NL50. But whatever it was I slipped straight down and fell straight to NL10, and then quickly after that straight to NL5! Admittedly, I didn't have to drop to NL5 but I basically couldn't even feel confident at the stupidly easy money sitting at NL10.

All this has come after merging my BR into one, and starting on FT at NL25... But with no HUD I feel very uneasy in certain spots where usually just a quick look at the VPIP of the player can tell if that 8,6s nut straight is actually in villains range or if my top two should be good for SD. So I decided to play some of the GTD MTT@s and cashed in 3/5 and Final tabled 2... They are somewhat jaded with the fact that my 4th place finish should of been a 1st ... I was 2nd in chips and the CL had me covered by maybe 3 - 4 BB with the rest fighting for scraps.. I get it in on a K-high flop with AK vs KQ turn ends the hand I didn't win. and in the other A,Js vs CL again J-high flop, all in and he hit his FD... That was my MTT's!!

Anyway, decided after my bout of good fortune, that cables were a Poker expense... So was the PT4 I recently purchased and also so is my new 32" Monitor! And after all deductions back to my life roll I decided to leave myself $400 to play at NL10 for a while until my confidence and style are back in full swing. Plus, I left a little something in my MB account for a swingy month! I eagerly await the delivery of my 32" as doing anything on this poxy TV - Even writing this blog entry is annoying!

I've also had some epic sessions at the tables, average session time is about 6 hours, but far from tells the true story as I have had a 36 hour straight session at one point and many more over 8 hours so I guess putting the time in but is it optimal time, this is a thought I wrestle with at the moment. I hope that the grinding continues but as for my Zoom/Rush challenge, I'm not sure I will be pursuing it... At least not at the SH tables... ;)

Now that I have all my hands in one place - I shall post a lifetime graph soon... Funnily enough even after that shocking swing and all the other crap going on, I still maintain a 6bb/100 average... Which is something I take some, but very little solace in.

I have so much more to comment on but I will save it for the next post as this one is getting into the realms of TL;DR now. And I'll leave the hand till next update also and it was AA vs AK AI PF and I won $120 :f_thumbsup:

Good luck people!

MMB
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      pussy.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      pussy.
      Excuse me sir, don't make me resort to fisty-cuffs! :s_evil:

Also, GOLD! Just saying, minor achievement in the grand scale of things, but it is an achievement none-the-less. And therefore, I felt it should be noted!

So currently I am working on a scedule for playing poker and think that I shall take the more professional approach if possible... I feel quite motivated and have a nice little plan coming together.

Stars I think will be my most regular room, although the allure of Full Tilt will always be there I have to take a closer look, but I think achieving supernova on Stars could be my goal for next year as I hopfully manage to treat Poker more of a job than a hobby I'm pretty good at some of the time. Because when all said and done I have fell in and out of the game at multiple points, just a quick stroll through the blog section here will tell you that. I've had some great rises, and some epic falls, but no matter which way it falls, I always end up using the last of my roll in a stuborn attempt at not moving down, or I have over-estimated how quickly I can do it again and simply withdrawn then not really gone anywhere and just ended up spending it on I don't know clothes or something. This time, I am prepared though and hope to make it stick. As it really is a very real way of making enough cash to call it a job and take it professionally.

Currently though I find myself falling into this rhythm - Play 1 table of Stars SH Zoom at NL25. Then after about 30 minutes just browse forums and do what we do. Then play a bit of Rush NL25 FR at 1 table - Then 4 table Rush FR on FT and grind for a few hours to unlock chunks of my $300 bonus. Which I don't think at the moment I will clear all of just dure to time restraints, although I have a weekend off this coming week and plan to make FULL use of my very rare time with the weekend fish. After a good night out obviously! Best thing about my nights out, I know everyone and have never had a hangover in my life... All I get is craving for fried breakfast, and a general zesty feel to the day... Unless the lager is off then it's a whole new ball game, but I shall not be so crude to mention them here.

Anyway, I will be playing tracked to pokerstrategy again which means I have access to hand evaluation forums and actually have a back log of NL20/25 hands plus a few NL50 hands that I feel I need a few outside opinions on. It's nice having Skype groups and all that but it's better on an open forum in my opinion. I actually after achieve the grades (on a different site) applied for a stake after 50 - 75k hands and they reviewed my application then told me that all looked great and all that remained was the interview, which was to be a 1-hour session with a tutor watching over Teamviewer/Skype, but after talking to a few people about their different reasons for getting staked and how it all worked out etc. I began to feel it may not be the best thing for me, as a lot of people seemed to feel a bit pressured and I wouldn't like reporting the losses, I know I wouldn't, I am honest and will always deliver bad news when needed but I really hate the situation. Then on the flip side what if I am winning? Well the way I see it, if I am winning at one or two stakes above where I am playing then giving away half the profit, what's the point? I may as well just play two limits lower and make 100% of my profit which will peobably equat to roughly the same... The only added bonus is the BR is not yours, however I am freerolling after a free $50 anyway and I've made purchases that far outway the 35 Euros deposit I made to get the 400% FDB on iPoker which seems like so long ago, yet in reality is only about 3 months. So it's still not my money. Win/Win for me I guess. The weekly review sessions with a professional was an attractive selling point though and still is... And the offer is open and I chat to a couple of them on Skype now, so it's still re-negoitable should I change my mind.

Wow! That was a wall of text my apolgies! :f_o:

I better end after that anyway... Will update again shortly and fill you in on EVERYTHING else that's happened in the last few months.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      pussy.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Goals List:

November 2012:

Reach Gold on PokerStars. 1,682/3,000
      Reach Platinum on Pokerstrategy. 925/2,500 (2 days pending)

December 2012:

Maintain Gold on PokerStars.
      Maintain Platinum on PokerStrategy.
      Play 100k hands minimum.

Extra goals December 2012 if achievable:

Reach Platinum on PokerStars.
      Reach Diamond on PokerStrategy.

Goals for 2013:

Reach Supernova on PokerStars.
      Maintain Diamond on PokerStrategy.
      Spend zero FPP's, except for $1,600 bonus. Unless close to busto or moving down two consecutive levels.
      Achieve 40BI for NL50.
      Maintain roll for NL50.
      Achieve positive winrate for NL50.
      Make weekly scedules.
      Continue my 1-2 hour long database reviews.
      Set stop/loss limits.
      Set strict BRM rules.
      Get Poker Villain kick. (Win 200bb pot with 2,7o :coolface: )

Goals for January 2013:

Play 150k - 200k hands.
      Reach/Maintain Platinum on Stars.
      Reach/Maintain Diamond on PokerStrategy.
      Plan a weekly scedule, stick to it.

Just a little running list for myself in preparation for next year really... Only reason I added the PokerStrategy statuses as goals is because I do watch the videos, and they are only a few more VPP's at Stars than what I am aiming for anyway, so will give me a few extra FPP's to throw around and help me reach SN quicker.

I've thought a lot about it and think that Stars is the place for me play next year as I think the software is okay and 99% stable, plus awesome support, decent rakeback (if I acheieve SN), and the regs are pretty nitty and exploitable in certain areas with a great selection of "passing through fish" and decent pool of "reg fish". So why play elsewhere! Always prefered Stars in the past also and the re-incarnation of FTP wasn't really spectacular for me and I don't like the Edge rewards system either :D .

My new 32" LED Full HD TV/Monitor with 19" Monitor displaying PT4/HM2 is a great setup for me and I am more than happy I decided to buy a brand new one and it was a bargain too! Will post pic when I have finished tidying my desk area... Done half then thought I'd take a break and write this post!

Anyway, good luck people!

MMB
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze

:diamond: Go Pro
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Goals and Progress Update Nov 2012

:club: Reach Gold on Pokerstars - Progress 1931/3000 - Outlook Good :club:
      :diamond: Reach Platinum on PokerStrategy - Progress 1071/2500 - Outlook Good :diamond:
      :spade: Achieve and maintain positive winrate for end of November - Progress 1.12/100 Outlook Hopeful :spade:
      :heart: Achieve Profit for November - Progress -$19.29 - Outlook Hopeful :heart:

I used to love this tune... Still sounding okay though imo.

Graph for those interested - Since deciding to start the road to supernova.

Until January 1st I am only playing zoom poker to try and beat the game and work on my multi-tabling skills... In an effort to balance out volume, I've decided to play the following:

NL25 - 1 Table
      NL10 - 2 Tables
      NL5 - 4 Tables

Once I post a positive bb/100 on 4 tables, then I start playing that at NL10 and if I have positive at 2 tables then I will play NL25 at two tables. Hopefully I can overcome whatever it is that I am doing so different at 4 tables than I am at 1 or 2.

Here's some stats:

Obviously W$SD is a bit bad at the moment but I am running a bit on the poor side so it's to be expected I guess... I am playing a little looser than the standard TAG game I guess, but looking at the hands it's mostly because I have such a wide BTN range I think (46/45 with 24 3Bet), but I'm winning at a rate of 115bb/100 so I think it's okay.

PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 109.12 BB
      SB: 131.72 BB
      BB: 100 BB
      UTG: 113.84 BB
      MP: 49.36 BB
      Hero (CO): 112.32 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has A:heart: A:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, fold, fold

Flop: ($1.85, 2 players) 7:spade: 2:diamond: 3:heart:
      Hero bets 5 BB, BTN calls 5 BB

Turn: ($4.35, 2 players) 7:diamond:
      Hero bets 12 BB, BTN calls 12 BB

River: ($10.35, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      Hero bets 20 BB, BTN calls 20 BB

Do you think I should of bet the pot on the river...? I was in two minds whether to pot bet or 50% and hope he calls/raises, I kind of had him down for what he flipped though. Player is 27/19 after 50 hands. But not seen much of note to this point in the way of SD's etc.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze

:diamond: Go Pro
      One can only dream at the moment :f_cool:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      It's all coming together - I guess.

First though, I found this on a random new music hunt this morning. Nigerian artist named Eva. I could see this in the charts over here for sure though. See what you think...

Anyway all is going as planned as the month slowly ends, I am still on track for my most of my goals...

:club: Reach Gold on Pokerstars - Progress 2332/3000 - Outlook Easy :club:
      :diamond: Reach Platinum on PokerStrategy - Progress 1417/2500 - Outlook Not hopeful, may miss this month, but possible. :diamond:
      :spade: Achieve and maintain positive winrate for end of November - Progress 1.30/100 Outlook Okay :spade:
      :heart: Achieve Profit for November - Progress +$31.15 - Outlook Okay :heart:

I was hindered by not being able to play for 1.5 days due to dodgy internet/wifi connection issues... So that was a bummer. But made up for it by grinding out 11.5k hands on on the 23rd, which I thought was a decent level of achievement as I did it across 24 tables and maintained VPIP 21/PFR 17/3Bet 12 and a positive winrate, only a mere 1.03BB/100 though, but still I had to boost my VPP's up and the milestone hands are now running, so how better than to pass the time playing 24 tables at the micro's while not risking any significant part of next years Supernova BR, yet still moving myself into a better position to start with on Jan 1st... Win/Win in my opinion.

I've play some NL25 as well and plan to everyday for at least an hour, just to get some stats on regs and to keep myself familiar with the stake. Up 2 BI at NL25 at the moment since this new database across only 600 hands though. Also, not mass multi-tabling this limit.

If anyone is interested, in relation to mass multi-tabling. I will keep testing it but so far, with a mouse and Tableninja I seem to lose roughly 200 - 250 hands/hour to playing with the xbox 360 controller and Tableninja. Maybe it's just sample size, but that's quite a lot of time you waste moving your cursor at first glance!

That's about it really for now... Just felt like updating as I wasn't really in th emood for playing after work... Been up 27 hours now, so thought it was best not to start up a session, so I'm writing this then going to find a movie to watch and get some sleep, may have to pick a bad movie so the latter happens sooner.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Good luck, will be following this. I'm back again too for another shot at poker. Haha.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      Good luck, will be following this. I'm back again too for another shot at poker. Haha.
      Welcome back and good luck to you too! :)

What are you playing now?