Double up SNGs

• Stabillo
      Stabillo
      Bronze
      Most probably I am going to deposit 50$ on Cake poker (because of the rakeback )and I was wondering if i can build up my BR playng 10 seat turbo double up sngs? What are your experiances with Cake poker ? What is the bes way to grind my first deposit bonus?
      Thank you!
  • 5 replies
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Hi Stabillo,

I have been playing on CakePoker recently and I actually quite like the software. Very easy to use, has scroll wheel bet sizing etc.

If you are planning to play the DON's (double or nothings) then I would suggest to stick to the $1 level until you increase your bankroll.

As for clearing the first deposit bonus, the best method is from playing SNG's as they give the highest number of fpp's per $1 of rake.

So to summarise, yes Cake Poker is a good option, software is nice and the best way to grind the deposit bonus is by grinding SNG's.

Best of luck

Callum
    • Stabillo
      Stabillo
      Bronze
      What is easyier to beat DONs or normal SNGs? :s_biggrin:
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      I would say both are going to be very similar.

The difference is that the DON's should be lower variance, since 50% of the field gets paid. So it is easier for you to cash.
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      I played on Cake around 2 or 3 yeras ago, and also liked to play DONs. You should be aware, however, that traffic is quite low (or was, at that time). If you play only 4 tables, on saturday/sunday nights, it is no problem, but if you like playing more tables, other rooms might be better.

I think that this game type is perfect for learning basic strategy, because playing tight really pays you off here (just 5 players need to bust each other;-) ). Also, you quickly learn how to pick spots for blind-stealing to survive the mid-phase.

as for strategy: much of the strategy articles cannot be directly applied to DON's, e.g. call 20 rule for setmining does usually not pay off (your opponents are unlikely to give you enough action when you hit). Also, the late game phase differs by a lot at later stages, and you can get a lot of easy folds even with aces.
      Quite a lot of the opponents are other regular players, and you need to pay a bit of attention. Many do not defend their blinds, and you can attack with almost any two. on the other hand, if they raise your bets, you should get out of the hand with QQ or lower.

Overall I think DONs are easier, because your opponents are very predictable, and because variance is relatively low. They are nice for learning, and for slowly building a bankroll, but if you are a good player, SNGs offer more money.
      One more thing: If rake is higher than 10%, and players are not incredibly stupid, then it is usually not worth playing. you might consider playing non-turbos, as you pay the same rake, but your opponents have more opportunities to make mistakes.
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      WHen it comes to sngs something I would encourage newer players to learn the importance of rake percentages when it comes the tournaments. I spent months playing micros FR sngs with 20% rake, which in essence is burning money.

In don's and husngs, to break even - you need 50% + 1/2 of the rake %. For example, the cake lowest DoN buyin is $1.5 + 0.15. (10% rake - this is pretty high for a DON btw). So, to break even you'd need (50+ (1/2*10)) = 55% in the money to break even.
      When you play DoNs, breaking even is making money - as you clear bonuses and get rakeback etc while playing MANY games. Now, the $1.5 level will have many bad players - I've witnessed some very funny stuff on the $6 level dons as well. In short, you should be able to build a bankroll pretty quickly with dons.

have you considered playing 6 handed dons? There you need to be more aggressive, you will play more hands and generally less tables than FR. But the games can be pretty soft too

Hope this helps