This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL25: AA very difficult spot

Bronze
      Poker Stars $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1971736
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $7.75 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 6, 3B: 14, AF: 1,0, Hands: 31
      Hero (SB): $26.82 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 18, 3B: 5, AF: 4,8, Hands: 90087
      BB: $25.00 - VPIP: 69, PFR: 48, 3B: 0, AF: 2,1, Hands: 29
      CO: $26.01 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 15, 3B: 7, AF: 3,9, Hands: 350

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is SB with A :club: A :heart:
      1 fold, BTN calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.15, BB calls $0.90, BTN calls $0.90

Flop: ($3.45) 3 :club: 7 :heart: 5 :club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, BB calls $2, BTN folds

Turn: ($7.45) 4 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.00, BB calls $5

River: ($17.45) A :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $7.00, BB raises to $14, Hero folds

Both opponents seem loose and possibly bad.

I decided to bet a bit smaller for value than I usually would on this flop because I was afraid that both of the opponents would perceive a bigger bet as being very strong because it should be clear that I am willing to play for stacks vs the SS. However, I think now that they likely are bad enough not to notice/understand this and I should therefore really bet bigger for protection + value.

1) Would you agree with a $2.75 bet on the flop?

I also guess that the turnbet is still a must vs FDs + weaker pairs (even overpairs).

However,

2) What to do on the river!?

I think we shouldn't be betting as most weaker pairs likely would just fold. We could consider blockbetting though.
      Though I think we may just check and make our decision depending on his sizing + timing -> if he bets big+fast we fold. If not, he should be able to turn his busted FDs into bluffs.
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Most likely just end up block-bet/Folding cause vs a bigger bet we ain't able to Call and would have to fold. Though Bet the flop bigger for value vs those station.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Given that the BB has ~$17.00 left and the pot is $17.45, how big a blockbet would be optimal?

$5.00?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Given that the BB has ~$17.00 left and the pot is $17.45, how big a blockbet would be optimal?

$5.00?
      1/3 of the pot would be my usual sizing.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm a little confused by this hand. Are we putting villain only on a six or two here? Couldn't he play his sets and maybe 2 pair, stubborn A7s/A5s kind of hands, like this as well, thinking he's raising the river for value against what looks like a strong 1 pair type hand/busted :club: draw? I would have serious problems folding in this spot......
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm a little confused by this hand. Are we putting villain only on a six or two here? Couldn't he play his sets and maybe 2 pair, stubborn A7s/A5s kind of hands, like this as well, thinking he's raising the river for value against what looks like a strong 1 pair type hand/busted draw? I would have serious problems folding in this spot......

He is basically never raising with his sets/2pair or whatever hand that is not a straight – why raise with them and isolate yourself vs a stronger range on such a dangerous board?
      And he is probably also not bluffing given that I have invested so much already and it is difficult for him to assume that he has any fold equity given the stack sizes left OTR (although he does – he just can't be sure without knowing me better).
      I also look pretty strong here and I would never play a 1 pair hand this way so my range is very strong.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Hi, I'm a little confused by this hand. Are we putting villain only on a six or two here? Couldn't he play his sets and maybe 2 pair, stubborn A7s/A5s kind of hands, like this as well, thinking he's raising the river for value against what looks like a strong 1 pair type hand/busted draw? I would have serious problems folding in this spot......

He is basically never raising with his sets/2pair or whatever hand that is not a straight – why raise with them and isolate yourself vs a stronger range on such a dangerous board?
      And he is probably also not bluffing given that I have invested so much already and it is difficult for him to assume that he has any fold equity given the stack sizes left OTR (although he does – he just can't be sure without knowing me better).
      I also look pretty strong here and I would never play a 1 pair hand this way so my range is very strong.
      Kindish, he has to be really stupid to value-raise sets. :D Nor I doubt that we going to see many bluffs this way.