[NL2-NL10] NL10 Made or Trash?

• Oly0909
      Known players:

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.53 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3:diamond: , J:club:
      UTG+2 calls $0,10, 5 folds, SB calls $0,05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,30) 9:diamond: , 5:spade: , J:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,20, UTG+2 raises to $0,60, SB folds, Hero raises to $1,55 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $0,95.

Turn: ($3,40) A:spade:
      River: ($3,40) A:club:

Final Pot: $3,40

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and jacks (3d Jc)
      UTG+2 shows a pair of aces (Td Qh)

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and jacks (3d Jc)

I've played it as a made hand because if I've had a pocket Jacks I would play the same. But generaly I don't know how to play in this situations when I have a freeplay.
      Example 1 - 2 overcards (QJ with T73 on board)
      Example 2 - top pair (73 with 762 on board)
      I know it's trash hand, but should I play it like when I raise preflop, or just c/f it?
  • 3 replies
    • mafaz
      Its a trash hand cause you have 3 as kicker, which is even hard to call a kicker i think u should study the strategy artickles again cause ur playing it wrong
    • dallievas
      Of course it`s a thrash hand.TPWK is very marginal hand in freeplay and basicaly you should c/f.You can call small bet if opp rather passive,but no way call raises.
      There`s big difference between raised and unraised (freeplay ) pot.When you raise you can hope that your raise will be called by good hands not marginal.In unraised pot you can see more marginal hands,so top pair weak kicker is weak made hand ,even TPTK is only medium made hand.
      Good luck :)
      Hi Oly,

top pair without kicker is definitely not a hand we want to put our whole stack on. If you feel you can buy the pot directly on the flop, you may bet. But after a raise it's rather obvious fold. Lots of better holdings can raise you here so I guess you have no edge.

About the trash and freeplay - just check/fold them. You need to know what continuation bets are aobut: you show strength preflop by raising and continue on the flop. Many players will call you pf just because they feel like they may hit something. Let them do it and let them fold the flop after your cbet when they don't hit.

Without betting preflop you should play with big aggression only the best holdings, so 2pair, trips and so on. Top pair without a kicker means nearly nothing in these spots (because usually it's multihanded).

Good luck at the tables.