How to... more volume?

• Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      Hello,
      I wanted to ask you guys, what can I do to motivate myself to put in more volume by playing MTSNG'S? I started to play about month ago, but only managed to play 365 sng's and best part is, that I multitable 10-12 tables.

Here is my stats at 90man 0.5$buy-in turbos:

Maybe I should start a blog or some small challenge, like +200$ in two weeks or smth? I know I can manage to play at least 50 mtsngs a day, but have no motivation. Maybe because of small stakes, I really dont know.

Any ideas, advices?

Thanks,
      KK
  • 13 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well it depends on what you want from poker. If playing micro's as a hobby then i don't see why you would need to motivate yourself to play, its your hobby that you do for your enjoyment so you can play just as much as you want.

If you want to grind up the stakes then and someday play for a living/a serious #2 source of income then you gotta grind hard. Money is always a good motivation so once you grind up the limits it gets easier to be motivated purely on the basis of making $$$.
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      It's just hard to believe that maybe one day I could play for a living, so it's hard to motivate myself to get through micros.
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      I'd suggest that you make yourself a schedule and do your best to keep up with it - if you're serious about grinding your way up.

Set some goals and if you are able to meet them, reward yourself. Apart from playing it might be a good idea to add physical exercise and training (watching poker videos etc.) to your schedule.
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      How do you play so many tables? Tile them? or ? Any tips ? atm im playing 4 tables (also 90 man.. want a study budy? :D ) but want to increase to atleast 10/15 (will add 2 every 2 days or so)
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      I stack them. Be carefull by playing more tables, I suggest you to take it slow. For example, add 2 more and then review your HH to see how youre doing.

About study buddy, I have thought of creating/joining study group. PM me your skype. ;)
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krist2ps
      I stack them. Be carefull by playing more tables, I suggest you to take it slow. For example, add 2 more and then review your HH to see how youre doing.

About study buddy, I have thought of creating/joining study group. PM me your skype. ;)
      You using some kind of program ? yesterday i tested this 1 : http://www.stackandtile.com its pretty good and free for sng's below 2 dollar. What it does it devides your screen in 4 windows (or 6 whatever you want) and tiles all the clients on 1 window than when its your turn it drags the table to a free window so you can take an action. if you fold it drags it back to the main window. (i might be confusing haha).

I have send you a PM with my skype details :)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there,

especially if you have only played for a month, I would definitely focus way more on studying and learning than putting in volume. Study some theory, apply it. Once you've mastered the concepts, study something new, etc.

You should also play less tables. Once you crush a limit, then slowly increase the number of tables. Before that, it's pointless. You will just be breakeven instead of a winning player or you might even be a losing player.

When you move to the next limit, you should again focus on crushing first and multitabling later.

As for the motivation, the best tool by far is to know what your vision is and constantly review it. You can learn about this in the first chapter of my productivity guide :) .

-SF
    • Avenga
      Avenga
      Basic
      I have a problem with this as I think many people do.....it is very common with online poker. I think it is partly (or possibly mainly) to do with the lack of interaction.

Some people just find that more of a problem than others and is why many people feel that online poker will never overtake live poker for that reason. Also the variance can be a problem and I think that were we guaranteed to make money in a linear way then more people would put the time in.

I think even many very experienced players still do not totally accept variance on a subconcious level. You could try creating personal challenges or other motivational tricks but the facts are that some people just love playing poker more than others while some people have very low boredom threshholds that mean that they just want to go and do something else after a while.
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      I guess I should have mentioned that I have previous expierence in poker, so Im not just starting out ;)

Also started a blog to motivate myself, link in signature ;)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Moved to the MTT forum -- might be more on-topic here...
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey Krist2ps :)

In general you should think about what you expect from poker. If you want to play poker for fun and as a hobby you shouldn't create schedules and force yourself to play more and more. That leads to nothing since you won't have fun (and that is what you should expect from a hobby).

If you think of playing poker for a living in the future and want to try to improve to get to higher stakes as soon as possible you should stick to a schedule and set yourself goals. These goals shouldn't be monetary since there is no way to influence variance. Think of quanitative goals (f.e. 500 MTSNG's within the next 30 days) and try your best to achieve your goal.

You shouldn't overdo things though. Start with low goals and increase them if you realize that you are able to do more. Also include theory sessions in your schedule since playing poker won't improve your game if you don't work on your game and analyze it at the same time.

If you have further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      In my opinion and experience, schedules lead to a boring life which is not much different than a 9-5 job ;) .

I would much more recommend working hard on one thing one week and resting/focusing on some other area of your life on another... Way more fun + better results.

Of course while you are growing in one area, you should still maintain the other areas. So even if you're not focusing on poker one week, it might make sense for you to play a session each day and review the hands from it.

-SF
    • MrS212i
      MrS212i
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krist2ps
      Maybe I should start a blog or some small challenge, like +200$ in two weeks or smth? I know I can manage to play at least 50 mtsngs a day, but have no motivation.
      Monetary goals suck cause its impossible to reach them everytime due to things that are out of our control/ variance.

Firstly you need to know what you are doing/ play correctly, eg. adapting to blinds/ players/ stack sizes, correct shoving/calling ranges, etc etc etc...
      Second and often neglected, the mental side of poker is really important!!

You say you can easily play 50 games a day, yet you've only played 459 x 0.50c 90mans? You either play like once a month or quit your sessions too
      early for some reason. It could be that your bored or have become tilted after taking a bad beat. It is good to stop playing if you are not playing your A-game, but your just wasting time that you could be printing $. You need to deal with the issue at hand whatever is causing you to stop playing, else you will never succeed at online poker.

The key to success through poker is volume. You need to grind and try to even out the variance. But there are no guarantees. If you want to play professionally, you need to know that you going to loose to suckouts every single day you play. Some days more than others. You must be able to brush this off as expected daily. A person can not think optimally when he is angry. Just like you cant have any outside distractions keeping your mind off the table, cant be thinking i need to make $100 so i can take my girl on a date, or I need to win this mtt so i can pay the rent :f_o:

So my advice for you is to set an achievable goal for yourself in terms of # of games played in a month. When you reach your goal you will have achieved something and regardless of how much you won or lost it is a step forward in your poker career.

Also you need to constantly be working and improving your game if you want to keep up.

Anyways hope you take something from this. GLgl.