Typical flop hands

• nyan123
      nyan123
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I recently started play cash poker on poker770. I found that the chances of me getting a decent set of preflop cards is insanely small. I don't think I'm overexaggerating because for the 1/2 hr i played today I've been folding all my preflop cards (according to direction on the chart on pokerstrategy). The best hand I got was ATo :( I think my chance of getting a playable preflop hand is like 1/20 or something lol. So I was just wondering, is this typical or am I just extremely unlucky for the past 2 days? I haven't deposited any money yet, I don't think that affects the probabilities though lol.

btw, I played non-competitive poker, and my chances of getting playable preflop cards was way higher lol
  • 5 replies
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      it's quite well known within poker that "play money" tables are rigged for maximum excitement (ie big hands/action flops) so to get the newcomers excited by the game and have them progress to real money play.....i can't say i have a big problem with that but for sure you will see far fewer premium hands in real money play in comparison to play money.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      TBH I really think thats not true, I've never had any better experience on getting better whole cards on a playmoney session than on a real cash game session. I usually loose more in play money games, because noone backs down, everyone calls you down as there is no risk envolved, they basicly don't care if they are sitting with 72o they will still try and hit a card and suck out your AA and thats why there is alot more action on these games...
      Its the same with freeroll tournament, however there are a few more ppl taking it a bit more seriously, but still you get WAY more action....

nyan123:
      I don't know how many tables you play, but you really can't draw a conclusion from such a short session imo.
      Sometimes we just don't hit anything, or have to play marginal hands to get action, however I'd still recomend following the chart and read the articles here, and join the beginner course here on the site, there is alot to be learned.

ATo is a really good hand depending on where you get it, and the action before you, but it's still marginal in most situations, you just try to get the best of it, even if that means having to fold it.

Just sucks when we don't get much action, but I still think you had a small session and can't draw any conclusion from it, and yeah we are playing really tight acording to the SHC so you will have to be patient to get your action :D

GL at the tables mate :s_biggrin:
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Yeah it is totally normal to play 30minutes and not get any decent hands. Quite often I have 6 tables open and do not receive any decent or even playable hands for ages.

Be patient and do not get drawn in to playing bad hands just because you have not gotten any decent hands in a while or when you start to play for real money you will just spew off tonnes of chips.

You will be pleased to know that it does go the opposite way too, there will be times when you get premium hands 5-6 times in a row one after the other.
    • killerslo
      killerslo
      Bronze
      Yeah its totaly normal to not get any smart hands for 30mins, but you also have to acknowlege that sometimes you will get quite few good hands too much in 30mins
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Cheers for all the views on this guys :f_love:

As said, getting no hands for a long period is completely normal, I've played many tournaments and ran completely dry playing only a select few hands over several hours, not even some nice little hands such as 78s popped up :(

You've just got to push tough and continue playing your A-Game and be sure not to let it effect your play in any way.

I'd suggest you read our article "Appreciating Variance and Dealing with Volatility" but this article is for Silver members which sadly you're only Bronze at the moment, are you playing with our Free Capital?

Meanwhile you can still check out a few of our Basic & Bronze articles on Psychology to help your mindset and avoid tilting your $ away :)

Any questions be sure to give us a shout !