BTN: $1.35
      SB: $2.64
      BB: $2.76
      UTG: $4.91 Unknown
      MP: $4.83
      Hero (CO): $7.66

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has Q:diamond: Q:club:

UTG raises to $0.20, fold, Hero raises to $0.65, fold, fold, fold, UTG raises to $1.35, Hero?

We know that the UTG is where people raise only their most strongest hands, therefore when I 3-bet UTG, I am saying I have an extremely strong hand (QQ+, AK). So when I am 4-bet, this is a clear sign of KK+ so I should find a fold in this situation.

Reflecting on this, I think it would be better to simply call in this situation because:
      • Since UTG is unknown, it is hard to fathom whether he would call or 4-bet with a weaker hand.
      • I keep weaker hands in my opponent's range that would have otherwise folded, I'm also able to get maximum value from these hands post-flop due to my relative position.
      • I am able to set mine against my opponent's strongest hands (Ax, Kx), allowing me to win a big pot if a Q does fall on the flop.
      • I can execute some well-timed bluffs on certain boards due to my likely position post-flop.
      • I don't have to fold a hand with relatively decent equity against a 4-bet.

Therefore, when in this situation against an unknown player, I would be weighted towards a call, especially when playing Zoom since people are more willing to fold their weaker hands to a 3-bet.

Not sure if my reasoning is correct, since QQ is a very strong hand and most likely ahead and according to the strategy articles should attempt to invest as much money pre-flop.

Is my reasoning correct, and what would you do in this situation?

How would you have played if we we're OOP?
  • 2 replies
    • CPallo

Of course, on 6-max people open a bit wider on UTG than on FR, so your 3-bet against them doesn't always mean that you have only QQ+. Otherwise I think your thinking process is good and you are most of the time correct about his range, it's usually QQ+, AK, sometimes JJ, but they are rare. Against unk. it's safer to just fold, as most likely we are in best case at a coinflip.
    • veriz
      Hello Raknyo,

3betting is still fine but we always have to reevaluate our hand strength. Usually to weaker side as if we get 4bet. Therefore not much to do there than fold it. Vs rather nitty players we may just Call preflop even not 3bet.

Best Regards.