16 getting into poker !

• Robertx23
      Robertx23
      Basic
      hello everyone im 16 years old and have been interested in poker for a couple years. is it a good idea for me to be starting so young ? even though im just playing for play money. am i going to pick up bad habits from play money? or is it a good way to start considering my age.
  • 16 replies
    • openendedagain
      openendedagain
      Bronze
      many poker players have started their playing at round about ur age the only problem that you could face is that you may start investing too much time in poker than other activities which may affect ur grade and or ur social life but thats just a worst case thing u can continue playing just know that these sites want only 18+ players...just know u can get ur free bankroll of real money hear 1se u turn 18 :D
    • Tunatic
      Tunatic
      Bronze
      Yeah, why not, it's just like any other card game. The only problem that may arise is that you are not aware of exactly what money is yet, and if you get tempted to start playing for real money before you turn 18, you could lose all the money you have.

Sad news is that you probably will not be allowed to be registered on this site until you are 18. At least the Administrators didn't let me when I registered when I was 17 ^^
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      No, it's not like any other card game. But by all means play with your friends for real (but small) money. I think that play money may hurt your future real game in the beginning, because a little economical pain/reward is an integral part of poker.

Now, please notice that I said small money, and little pain/reward.

(And make sure that you take the reward and your friends the pain. :D )

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      OP: I can say this from my experience that Poker is truly a game in which you'll get better once you get a bit older and independent. This is true especially for the bankroll and tilt aspects of it.

Once you have started to manage your own money and maybe moved away from home you'll really understand the value of money.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong to assume that you are still living at home. I have made the assumption based on the fact that most of the 16-year-old people are living with their parents.
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      yes
      please get 18 first
      there are so so many more things you can do at this point
      To play serious poker you need to invest a lot of money and time
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      If I were you I'd get started with learning good poker asap.

Yes, you can't play for real money yet but you can still practice a lot of the basic concepts on play money, improve your mindset from there. Losing will hurt for play money as well and tilt is a poker player's biggest enemy. Master that from a young age and you'll sky rocket to mid stakes when you turn 18 imo.

There are quite a few free videos around PokerStrategy that can help you start plus the forum is accessible for basic members for the most part. Learn as much as you can then crush when you can play for real money.

However, it's important to not focus too much on poker just yet. Enjoy being 16, keep poker as a serious hobby and see where it takes you. :f_thumbsup:
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      However, it's important to not focus too much on poker just yet. Enjoy being 16, keep poker as a serious hobby and see where it takes you. :f_thumbsup:
      I'd have to agree with you about this. Real life's a bitch, if you don't mind me saying... :) You probably can wait before having to worry about it.

I'd love to go back being 16 and not have a single worry in the world! :s_biggrin:
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Hey guys, why so prudent?

A little social gambling between friends is great fun. And please don't lie to me and say that you yourself never played (real) poker before the age of 18.

• pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Hey guys, why so prudent?

A little social gambling between friends is great fun. And please don't lie to me and say that you yourself never played (real) poker before the age of 18.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't play for real money before turning 18 but I'm just saying he should not take poker too seriously just yet. =)
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Agree in full. It's supposed to be fun.

(I still meet with the old poker gang from that age to play on a regular basis.)

• Robertx23
      Robertx23
      Basic
      thanks for all the advice. i really appreciate it.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi Robertx23,

as you can see, there are a lot of differing advices and opinions here which i'm really happy to see our members sharing with you. this community rocks! :s_love:

the thing is, strictly speaking, poker at 16 years old is illegal and i cannot encourage it. i understand 2 years seems like a looong time to wait. but don't worry. poker will still be there when you are old enough to play. some tips for someone with a fresh start like you - if you don't want to lose out on the advantages of this community, create member accounts at the poker room (for example, Pokerstars) using the proper link/code from Here. otherwise, they will never let you play tracked to us even if you only made a play money account. i've been around long enough to know people regret being untracked here. got it? :D

smiles,
      wendy
    • sileekhunt
      sileekhunt
      Bronze
      @ OP

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue33/sklansky-schoonmaker-poker-good-for-you.php

yeh i would play it like any other game I played at 16. Learn to crush play money games & start 2NL when you reach 18.

Of course its good advice not to put too much time into it....friends, school stuff & staying active are more important.

Poker does take up alot of your time without you even realising - so watch out for that if you get into it at such a young age.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey mate - i started playing when i was 16 for play money and developed a ton of bad habits from it. that said, i never had pokerstrategy and i really wish i did. i was intimidated by all the theory involved and had the mindset thinking i could know it all without help if i just played. i was so wrong, so just learn the game as much as you can from this site and take the play money seriously.

as purplefizz said, if you do sign up to a poker room, use the marketing code! i kick myself for not doing that when i was your age and i have missed out on a lot because of it.

good luck with it, study hard, work on your game, take it seriously and when you turn 18 and start playing online for proper cash you will be fine. also if you ever go play in live games with a bunch of friends you will crush their souls :)

Lewis.
    • killerslo
      killerslo
      Bronze
      Ive also started playing poker when i was 16 and i dont regret it
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      16 is the legal illegal