FR->SH road to Golgotha

• martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      I've been playin since 2007 summer in microlimits with many breaks cooldown downswings brokes and so on :) But now i've decided to take it seriously as reasonable hobby. So now must to decide my strategy wheter to continue grow as full ring TAG or play on a lot looser short handed.

So i'm considering when best moment to switch to short handed.

BTW: i've failed to beat 0.5/1$ in 2-3k hands. Now i have 200$ left in my account, but also i've ordered a new book, which should inprove my game a lot("Small stakes poker").
  • 8 replies
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Hey martizzo, you are exactly where I was in around january time, I took a shot at .5/1$ SH and got knocked down to ~200$. I assume you lost the money in .5/1$ FR which only after 2-3k hands it can easily be attributed to a downswing.

Imo switch to SH as soon as you have the BR so you can get accustomed to the new style of play, simply put, there are more 6 handed tables than FR at nearly every poker site (if not all) thus more opportunities to win from the fish. My advice would be to post hands often and keep trying .5/1$ FR to build your BR up to at LEAST 500$ before trying .5/1$ sh. If you get to 150$, then switch back to .25/50c FR and just keep grinding it out man, every downswing has an upswing in the future!

In short : play according to ps brm and use that to switch to sh asap which is where the real moneys at!

edit: ive read parts of various poker books on limit holdem and imo they dont offer anything extra compared to PS.coms articles+ the awesome resource of videos/sample hand judging + coachings etc. That said you can't really go wrong getting some other opinions but pokerstrategy is geared towards the current state of online poker
    • martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      So if i need 500BB for SH, so fastest way i could switch to SH is when i reach 250$ mark.
      Because on titan there is .25/.50$ shorthanded don't know if its profitable.. Maybe i could catch there upswing... so i need only 100BB which i could reach in 5-8k hands 1.5-2BB/100
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      I assumed you were on party! Do it!

Get up to 250$ then go to .25/50c SH it's definitely profitable, the fish are even worse!

GL
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      0.25/0.50 SH at titan is profitable, but the rake is high. My rake was almost 4.2 BB/100 hands there. So if you decide to play there, make sure you are constantly clearing 2 bonusses at the same time (which are: regular titan reload bonus + pokerstrategy special reload bonus)

I am playing at pokerstars now, and I am of the opinion that Titan is better for SH starters.
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      I started to play SH about 2 month ago. Allso swithed at 0.25/0.5 but only played there about 3-4k sh games, just to get the feel for it as i alreday had bankroll big enaugh to play 0.5/1 (about 700$). So in the begining of may i played few thousand hands on 0.5/1 SH, but by then party reload bonuses got me so i rather played 0.25/0.5 FR on 9 tabes to clear some bonuses.
      So in the beginning of june i promised myself i would play SH 0.5/1 the whole month to see how i will do at it. So from then, i played around 22k hands and made an average of 1.35BB/100, which i am not very satisfied with, but we will se what is going to be after 50k hands. I hope i ran a little bad (with VPIP 22% and WTSD 32% i have 54% W$@SD) or is this portion normal for SH? You know what the other possibility is :)
      However i did need some time to start feeling comfortable to play SH, i know i was pretty nervous at the begining because of uncertainty when loosing money: if i play so bad SH or is it just a bad run.
      For me, a big bankroll is very important as you can really define how you play in a long run (i think you can't say you dont beat a limit after 3k hands as bad run can easyly last 6k hands or more). So if you have a big bankroll like 1000BB you can overlast your bad run, and if u dont (eg. u lost 600BB or 700BB) than you can return to previous limit or FR and can be pretty much sure that you should work more on your game.
      I know it sounds a bit coservative, but it works for me and will move up to 1/2 when i have more than 1000BB for it.
    • martizzo
      martizzo
      Bronze
      My next question is it worth to take private coaching on 0.50/1.00$ FR limit. whether wait until start short-handed and then take.
      How much cost 2-hour session? Can you recommend some coaches?
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/coaches/
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Originally posted by martizzo
      My next question is it worth to take private coaching on 0.50/1.00$ FR limit. whether wait until start short-handed and then take.
      How much cost 2-hour session? Can you recommend some coaches?
      Imo at that limit it's not really worth to get a coaching for .5/1$ FR. You can get nearly the same feedback from posting hands, I am certain anyone with enough played hands and work on their game can succeed past that limit. Imo if you've played several limits of SH and are having a serious longterm losing streak and are even unsure of the most basic things and your posted hands all seem fine, then maybe some things you don't realise are wrong with your game are going unnoticed. Only then would I suggest you get private coaching.

Keep attending public coachings asking plenty of questions and posting hands and I'm sure you will succeed without a private coaching.

If you think that it's still gonna be worthwhile I suggest cornholio as a coach, he has good english and a good understanding of the game ;)