Normal game or S'n'G when starting ?

• Nazzor
      Nazzor
      Bronze
      Well I've been playing SSS like crazy for past couple of days, and I can't find it profitable enough.. Sure once in a lot of hands I get premium hand, and people next to me raise and I win big, but also I lose in a same situation where lucky person hits straight on the river, and I'm holding two pairs for ex. A Q . . .

So I'm wondering, should I start playing 1$ S'n'G ? Because if I get really, really good at it, I can start playing those 30 or 20 plrs, where 1st place is quite a nice (12 $) . . .

But again, don't get me wrong, SSS works like charm. . I'm not necessary disappointed, just I've been around ~30 euros for the past couple of days (1 euro down, 2 up, 3 down, 4 up. . got the point) and I'm not seeing myself climbing the ladder with this play. .

Best regards,
      -Nazzor
  • 3 replies
    • Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      From what your saying, it looks like you want a more stable profit per day. In my opinion, cash games (normal games) are more profitable if you want regular daily profits. SnGs, especially those 30-player tournaments, are more irregular. You win big amounts once in a while.

My suggestion... try BSS if you're ready. It's less dependent on luck. :)
    • wutes
      wutes
      Bronze
      Hi, when I started playing online poker about two years ago I used to be stuck in pretty much the same spot as you are right now. Started with 50 $, played SSS, won some, lost some, but never seemed to make some real money...kind of frustrating, isnt it? Well, the thing is, there is nothing you can really do about it! Poker is (usually) not a game where you can turn 50 $ into thousands within a couple of days! Patience is the key!

Weather you should play cash game or SnGs just depends on your own preferences and your skill level in the two type of games. None is superior to the other in terms of profitability without considering what kind of player you are.

I would advise you to try to increase your poker knowledge by reading books and posting & discussing hands in the forum as much as possible since only this will boost your bankroll in the long run. I would recommend Harrington on Holdem 1, 2, 3 for Tourneys & SnGs and Harrington on Cash Game 1, 2 for cash games. Those surely helped me a lot.

Personally, I made my breakthrough by playing A LOT of SnGs thereby sticking to the advice from the apropriate literature. After some time you get really good at playing those SnGs since the structure is always the same and you can increase your limits and hopefully your winnings as well. When I had a bankroll of about 2000 $ I switched to cash game again and found it to be very profitablel playing BSS. However, you need a lot of experience in order to do this.

I hope this was helpful, wish you good luck, be patient!
    • Nazzor
      Nazzor
      Bronze
      First off thank you for taking your time, I appreciate it :)

Well yes, that's exactly what I want. I mean if I already put 5-6 hours per day playing, I would at least be happy with 5$ per day, if I played mathematically correct and didn't hit bad streak (I'm ready for a lot of -5$ days, too). But on the other hand, I think I'm better S'n'G player than I'm SSS. I used to play S'n'G before, with play money a lot, and I'm most of time winner. Few minutes ago, I played 1$ S'n'G and finished 1st :) . I love it, because a lot of new ones makes mistakes early on, by betting and so. . So I basically wait for good hands, and when they come I'm mostly up against 4-5 players only. Of course I know I will lose lots of times, but I think I can always manage to take a paid place and atleast get back my buy-in. .

@ Duane317
      I'm not yet ready for BSS, I have just over 50$, and I'm not ready to try it yet. . But will for sure, once!

@ wutes
      I think, I'll follow your path. I'll play S'n'G alot, and if I ever manage to build up a BR big enough, I'll try BSS.

Thank you,
      Best regards,
      -Nazzor