Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) Replayer
      SB ($28.53)
      BB ($21.41)
      UTG ($24.54)
      CO ($19.06)
      Hero ($25.98)

Dealt to Hero 9:diamond: A:heart:

fold, CO raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $1.80, fold, fold, CO raises to $4.40, Hero raises to $8.80, fold

Hero shows 9:diamond: A:heart:

Hero wins $9.10

Villain is a reg 25/19/8 with 27% 4bet (5.1% 4bet range) over 700 hands.

When villains 4bet me in these spots I often do not know what to do. However, after reading AMA Pleno1's 6max thread :f_biggrin: I started to look for spots where a bluff 5bet might be good.

The villain is very agressive and 4bets so often its impossible he will go all-in with even half of his 4betting range. By min 5betting I am risking 7$ in order to win 13.5$ so if he folds about 50% its a profitable move. Assuming he will only shove with QQ+, AK (2.56%) out of 99+, AQ+ (5.3%) and I have an A blocker it is slightly EV+?

One definitive positive aspect is that the villain is now so scared of me he never steals from me & refuses to 3 bet my raises. :s_biggrin:
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Jehryn,

So answer me one question. Why would you invest almost half of your stack here and then fold? I am pretty sure that you folding to the shove.

Good that you following medium stakes player thoughts but you can't apply them very easily on those stakes, you just can't cause clearly player thinking on those limits is way different. So do you 3bet it for value?

Best Regards.
    • prevolsek
      prevolsek
      Silver
      I think that there are 2 problems here, first you don't know if he will push with JJ or TT as well... Also since you just minraise him he gets pot odds 3:1so he might at least call with JJ here, you never know. If this happens your move won't be plusEV anymore.
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      @Veriz

Well, as I said in the original post, I'm trying to find a way to deal with agressive regs who almost 4bet on principle. The villain in question 4bets so often that it should be possible to exploit this. The idea I had from the Pleno1 thread is that since the 4betting range is so wide, a small 5bet will put him AI which he will only call with a very small range. Also since I meet this reg very often on the tables it is a good idea to make him aware that he can't auto 4bet me (that part at least worked).

But as you said, I'm not sure if I should try to apply a higher level game plan on microstakes. I'm still learning to walk so flying might not be a good idea :f_grin:

But how do I adjust then against agressive regs? Just tighten up my range & avoid them? That would work I guess but that would mean a lot of dead money is going into his pocket instead of mine.
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      @prevolsek

True :s_frown:
    • prevolsek
      prevolsek
      Silver
      If your opponents are aggreisve then be passive, if they are passive then be agressive. That's a general rule of thumb. Tightening up your OR range is best here. Sure you will lose a lot of dead money this way and you will be playing less hands. But you will only play with your strong hands against loose weaker hands, so you should be +EV.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Guess it's just too much leveling thing here, you are rather leveling yourself thinking that you have seen some videos or plays from medium stakes players and trying to use it on NL25. :P Though it's kinda wrong cause clearly NL25 players ain't those type of players.

What we basically could do against such an opponent is that start to ship more looser hands for value as even AQ and maybe looser. Start to loose more hands than 3bet vs him being IP. ;) That easy. If you going to 3bet here then you definitely HAVE TO HAVE a plan what you doing vs the 4bet cause clearly by folding every time you are wasting tons of money.