Hi there

• elda420
      elda420
      Bronze
      So I've been a member for a few months now and I figured I might aswell introduce myself here in a proper fashion.

Hi, my name's Alex and I'm a 20yo Japanese-French CS student who got started in poker about 3 months ago after spending 2 years trying to hit grandmaster on Starcraft II and getting really close sometimes but never achieveing it.
      I'm now grinding NL10 FR games on stars (with an untracked account, unfortunately) and doing okay even though I experience HUGE swings (both ups and downs) all the time which might just be me playing a high variance style without realizing it.

Anyway, not sure what else I can say about myself, I don't have any previous experience in poker but I'm trying to learn as fast as I can ~

See ya in the strategy threads !
  • 8 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello Alex and a warm welcome to the community!

If you are new to poker may I suggest you click the link to the NL Beginners Course at the bottom of this post? It's totaly free and you will learn how to win and find out what causes those huge swings (I seem to have them to :D ).

If you need further help just ask ok, it's what we're here for.

Good luck at the tables and have fun on the forums,

Mal.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey alex :)

What does a CS student study?

Aww untracked :( maybe one day you will fancy a change and sign up somewhere else tracked :) and rise up through the status ranks :) Maybe you are playing a high variance style. How big is your sample size of hands?

Regards
      Carl
    • elda420
      elda420
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks gadget51 and ExternalUseOnly for the welcome !

As a computer science student, I have various classes ranging from programming, math, stats and data management. Nothing too crazy as I'm only on my 2nd year.

And yeah, I might decide to get another account at party or something and have it tracked :)

As for my sample size I play a good 2.5k hands a day on average, I didn't keep track of my progress so far but I have crazy swings of +/- 5BI in a thousand hands every now and then which is something my bankroll isn't the biggest fan of.

Edit : Oh, and to gadget51, I've already been following the course for about 2 months now :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      2.5k hands a day is pretty nice volume i struggle to hit 500 hands a day these days! how many tables do you play? Are you playing Zoom or normal tables?

What kind of Bankroll management are you using? (how many buy ins?) 5 BI swings are pretty common and i'm sure you know as long as you are making correct decisions it should be nothing to worry about. If you feel like it affects your play maybe you should use a higher buy in BRM so you don't notice the knocks as much
    • elda420
      elda420
      Bronze
      I'm playing 6 normal full ring tables, but yeah I play a lot indeed. I have had 7k+ hands days, which takes a lot of time but it's something you just get used to I guess.

I play with about 22BIs right now which is pretty aggressive but it's only NL10 so I feel like it's acceptable. I think I just need to worry less about the state of my bankroll and more about my decisions :D !
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      yeh 22BIs sounds fine to me too as long as you are prepared to move down when needed then shouldn't have too many problems imo. So where are you living then? Japan or France?
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Hi Alex! Nice to hear from a fellow CS student. I was going to start the second year of CS in Finland but I decided to take a break.

I've liked the courses so far - it's been quite interesting.

Good luck!
    • elda420
      elda420
      Bronze
      Hi pucilpet :P

ExternalUseOnly : I currently live in France which is kind of an annoyance when it comes to poker obviously. Most of my family lives in Japan and I go there every few years. I still am a dual-citizen and I have friends all over the world, so I have no idea where I'll be living even 2 years from now ~