Stacks:
      UTG ($23.62) 236bb
      CO ($1.58) 16bb
      cozacu (BTN) ($10) 100bb
      SB ($15.46) 155bb
      BB ($14.08) 141bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) cozacu is BTN 5:diamond: 5:spade:
      2 folds, cozacu raises to $0.25, 1 fold, BB calls $0.15

Flop: A:club: 9:heart: J:diamond: ($0.45, 2 players)
      BB checks, cozacu bets $0.37, BB calls $0.37

Turn: 7:spade: ($1.19, 2 players)
      BB checks, cozacu bets $0.80, BB calls $0.80

River: K:club: ($2.79, 2 players)
      BB checks, cozacu checks

villain 22/16 af 3.5 cbet 75 ftcbet 33 wtsd 28%

Was i trying to hard to get the pot here? Is my second barrel unnecessary, i was thinking of getting him off a Jx or some medium pair witch doesn't give up the flop
  • 5 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Hello,

First of all, that size of raise pre-flop. Forget that 0.25, make it at least 0.3 but prefer 0.4, as opponents can't 3bet you too light. If you open too small they might defend with more marginal hands that get better prize and can suck you post-flop.

You overplay your hand there. A, J and 9 all hit his range, and after turn gives one more overcard you should cback and hope to hit your hand on river or fold against a bet. He's clearly not folding that hand.
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      Thx CPallo

Bu open`raise size for me is 2.5BB; 4BB from UTG; and 3BB from any other position, i don't think there is a problem with that.

He`s got a small ftcbet so if I want to take the pot i need to fire 2streets, or don't fire at all, and just x/fold postflop in position vs this opponent might be too weak, i can't cbet just spots where i hit because i`ll become to easy to read postflop.

Anyway this might very easily be a situation where i just wanted the pot too much and i should have waited for a better spot instead, not sure. Coach?
    • smilerrth
      smilerrth
      Bronze
      Opening 2.5x from BTN is good in my opinion, its easier to get away when you get 3b, it encourages villains to play with worse hands oop and it makes your 4b bluffs cheaper.

His ftcb is low but I don't think that should stop you from cbetting. Sometimes he will fold out equity he has with overcards to your pair, sometimes you'll get value from QT, 8T, or gutter draws, which you could then hopefully check down if you're lucky.

However, once he calls the flop he can have any Ax 9x Jx hand and they all beat you, and the turn completes the T8 draw so that now beats you too. The turn 7 also adds a lot of pair+draws e.g. JT T9 78 etc which probably won't fold to a turn bet considering the type of player, so I think this is a case of cbet once, occasionally getting some value from it, and then hope to check down.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      But every time you bet 2,5 you lose value when you actually hit. And when cbets work very often there you will collect bigger pot than with 2,5. 3bb minimum.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello cozacu,

Check behind the flop, not the best board to CB and you rarely going to be able to 2nd barrel for value.

Best Regards.