[NL20-NL50] nl25 - AKs bluff!

• Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      I'm not 3betting vs a player (who looks solid) his MP range. It probably can't be for value...

So supergood flop to bluff. Wouldn't barrel all turncards cause he's still kinda unknown but this card makes it more scary for overpairs so I barrel.

River lol

Poker Stars $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1982967
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $28.59 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 23
      MP: $51.03 - VPIP: 29, PFR: 23, 3B: 11, AF: 1.3, Hands: 56
      CO: $25.00 - VPIP: 25, PFR: 8, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 12
      BTN: $20.16 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 13, 3B: 11, AF: 0.0, Hands: 23
      Hero (SB): $25.85 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 6, AF: 3.6, Hands: 527490
      BB: $18.48 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 17, 3B: 0, AF: 3.0, Hands: 23

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is SB with K :club: A :club:
      1 fold, MP raises to $1, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.90, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.25) 6 :club: 7 :diamond: 5 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.75, Hero raises to $5.25, MP calls $3.50

Turn: ($12.75) 8 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $7.00, MP calls $7

River: ($26.75) 9 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $12.60, MP folds
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Farmarchist,

Turn isn't the best card for you, even if you say you are trying to get rid of his overpairs the problem is that he also has huge portion of his hands SCs which hardly improve it. Expect more often overpairs just folding the flop. Therefore I'd rather Check/Fold the turn instead, his calling range may also be something like 88/99 which improves.

Best Regards.
    • prevolsek
      prevolsek
      Silver
      I would 3bet the flop/evaluate, otherwise we have to play AKs out of position without initiative.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by prevolsek
      I would 3bet the flop/evaluate, otherwise we have to play AKs out of position without initiative.
      preflop, you mean
      but is playing "AKs out of position without initiative" such a terrible thing? :P
    • prevolsek
      prevolsek
      Silver
      Well not really, but without 3-beting MP with AKs just means loosing value in the long run at least in my book.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by prevolsek
      Well not really, but without 3-beting MP with AKs just means loosing value in the long run at least in my book.
      I am listening, how are you losing money if you don't 3bet here? And what you gonna do if he 4bets you?
    • prevolsek
      prevolsek
      Silver
      He's loose aggressive and he likes to 3bet, i know the sample isn't big enough, but it's still some sort of indication.

So let's assume that he's a good player and only raises 22+ AT+ and KJ+ from MP. He should fold all PPs smaller then TT, he should also fold AT, AJ, AQ and KQ and that's 75% of his range. He will probablly call with TT and JJ and raise QQ+ and AK. Against TT, JJ, QQ and AK I have a coin flip and i'm dominated by AA na KK. Even if he really only 4bets with AK and QQ+ I still have 42% equity against a push.

But since he's loose i expect him to fold less and 4-bet with more. So I would definitely push against a 4 bet even though i will be dominated a few times. Sometimes he might even go allin with AQ.

So the reasons for making the 3-bet are: taking initiative, taking the pot down before the flop, geting more information about the strenght of his hand, trying to build the pot with a strong hand, I don't mind going all in against a LAG in MP with my equity, if he calls the 3-bet I can stack him when i hit the flop.

Reasons for not calling: I will be playing out of position. It's shorthanded, what am I going to 3-bet if not the 3rd/4th best possible hand against a LAG in MP? Also if i call and hit on the flop and he shows too much aggression I won't know if i'm ahead or behind, on the other hand if I hit in a 3bet pot i know i'm almost always ahead.

If you think I'm wrong, please explain why.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      He's loose aggressive and he likes to 3bet, i know the sample isn't big enough, but it's still some sort of indication.

What kind of? The sample clearly is basically 0 information. Why didn't you then take into account AF, you said he is aggressive but from AF then he is passive.

So let's assume that he's a good player and only raises 22+ AT+ and KJ+ from MP. He should fold all PPs smaller then TT, he should also fold AT, AJ, AQ and KQ and that's 75% of his range. He will probablly call with TT and JJ and raise QQ+ and AK. Against TT, JJ, QQ and AK I have a coin flip and i'm dominated by AA na KK. Even if he really only 4bets with AK and QQ+ I still have 42% equity against a push.

Do you understand that your calculations and assumptions are just waste here? You never-ever know if he is going to do that. I would say way the opposite here.

Also if you are telling that he folds practically every crappy hand, then why do you 3bet in first place? You should be 3betting when you also assuming that you getting called from worse as AT/AJ/AQ. Otherwise doesn't make sense to 3bet if you just get called by that range what has you beat. Instead just call and keep his range wide.

But since he's loose i expect him to fold less and 4-bet with more. So I would definitely push against a 4 bet even though i will be dominated a few times. Sometimes he might even go allin with AQ.

Why should he go all-in with AQ from MP vs SB 3betting range? 4betting and going broke here vs unknown MP is just -EV in long run and you wont earn profit with it. Clearly overvaluing your AK. Would you EVER go all-in with AQ vs unknown SB? I highly doubt.

So the reasons for making the 3-bet are: taking initiative, taking the pot down before the flop, geting more information about the strenght of his hand, trying to build the pot with a strong hand, I don't mind going all in against a LAG in MP with my equity, if he calls the 3-bet I can stack him when i hit the flop.

Taking initiative
      -> and what you going to do with that if your main plan was to make worse Ax hands to fold.

Taking the pot down before the flop
      -> why would you want to do that? We might even extract tons of more value from his weaker Kx/Ax hands postflop and especially if we hit big.

Getting more information of his hand
      -> how you getting more information? If he 4bets you he has a nutted range but at the same time he could as well trap you and just call with strong hands.

I don't mind going all in against a LAG in MP with my equity
      -> :facepalm: How the heck do you know he is a LAG? You clearly have even more information here than Farma does.

And a reason that you are OOP isn't just a reason to 3bet cause you are weak playing hands OOP. So every hand you don't know what to do you 3bet?