axeboy90

• axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      Hi my name is Alex, i'm 22 years old and I'm attending this course to refresh the poker concepts (at first) because of my 1 year break and then to continue improving my game.

~ History ~

I've registered here 2 years ago searching "poker strategy" on google. Got my first starting capital by passing Fixed Limit quiz but switched to NL quicly. After being very active on the forums I've had the opportunity to join the moderator's team :D but had to give up on that later.

Poker related
      I played SSS at first but when the platforms restricted the buy-in switched to MSS. Started a partnership with a coach for a month of MSS on Rush Poker wich didn't turned out very well (I guess it's not my style).
      Played BSS FR and SH for, I don't know, 1-2 months before FTP was closed.

Numbers:
      Biggest BR : 1000$
      Money made from poker: ~500$
      Hands played SSS: ~200k or more
      Hands played MSS: ~100K
      Hands played BSS: ~40k or less
      Highest limit played: NL25

That's as much as I remember from last year and it's good I made a recap. We'll see what will develop from this.

My next task's:
      - Do homework nr.1
      - Complete lesson nr. 2
      - Make a plan :)

Later.
  • 9 replies
    • axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Well, it's a nice hobby to have:fun, exciting, with ups and downs and you also learn to control yourself and improve your mindset. If I will reach the state of turning this into a job, well, it's a nice job to have. Freedom at last. :D

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      The first one that crosses my mind is originated from SSS. Because SSS was a very restrictive strategy, now i play very loose and get involved in spots (post flop) where I have no idea what to do.
      Second, is that I mix tourneys with cash, sh with FR. I play too many different styles at the same time.
      And I get involved in the game, meaning if someone annoys me, I look for a spot to put him on pressure.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Patience. That's what it means. And fold, fold, fold. Yeah....
      Seriously talking, it's the best way.

Any idea, tips for how to make a poker playing plan?
      How much time should I spend on wich lesson?

Next task's:
      - Do homework nr.2
      - Make the goddamn plan (no idea)
      - Read lesson 2
      - Install Elephant or HM

I'm already behind.. :rolleyes:
    • axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      ~ HOMEWORK NR. 2 ~

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Well, since I've already played alot of hands in the past, I would definetly change some things:
      :club: First, the steal range, which (as my leak is) I extend it up to 100% from BU depending on the next 2 players;
      :club: Also, vs a reg I would 3bet, if he tries to steal my blinds, with more hands (let's say A2s+, KQs, some suited connectors)
      :club: What I would do different it's the preflop betsizing which I don't know if its a correct thing to do now, but anyway, 3bb from late, and 4bb from utg/mp
      LE2,3: :club: Open-raise pocket-pairs, like 77+

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I would post some hands later, first I need some tips on isolation bets vs limpers. I mean, ATo from mp if utg limped is a good hand to isolate? What if utg minraises?
      LE: How about this > [FR] NL2 KJs from SB

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      If I calculated right, the equity is 47% against 52% of the 5% range.

Done with the homework, installed the software, now i need to start playing. First I wanna beat NL2, then I'll move to NL10 and maybe NL25.
    • axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      Up untill now i played like 5 sessions of aprox. 80min each and to be honest I've kinda applyed the things I said in question 1 from homework 2. I don't know if it's good or bad. Oh, btw, been playn' NL2 to NL10 (rush poker included, but not mixed with normal tables).

Here's an overview; any thoughts on my stats?
      (the highlighted is the last session)

LE: Also the hand that got me on a "red" session.

Full Tilt Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 1994024
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $15.52
      BTN: $5.22
      Hero (SB): $10.25
      BB: $10.00
      UTG: $5.68
      UTG+1: $3.00
      UTG+2: $14.31 (fish)
      MP1: $10.00
      MP2: $8.62

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with 8 :spade: 8 :club:
      2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.15, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.50) 8 :heart: T :diamond: T :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+2 bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.20) 7 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+2 bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

River: ($2.40) 7 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, UTG+2 raises to $3, Hero calls $1.80

Should I have folded on the river?

Other trouble hands...

Full Tilt Poker $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players - View hand 1994025

MP: $5.59
      CO: $3.43
      BTN: $1.71
      SB: $5.05
      BB: $2.58
      UTG: $5.10
      Hero (UTG+1): $5.71

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is UTG+1 with 9 :club: 9 :diamond:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.42) 4 :diamond: 7 :club: J :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.29, BB calls $0.29

Turn: ($1.00) 6 :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.00) 6 :club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45

Full Tilt Poker $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 1994026

BTN: $2.41
      SB: $5.30
      Hero (BB): $5.53
      UTG: $5.00
      UTG+1: $1.95
      UTG+2: $5.26
      MP1: $2.79
      MP2: $2.62
      CO: $20.59

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with K :heart: Q :diamond:
      5 folds, CO raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 6 :club: 9 :heart: A :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, CO calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.72) Q :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, CO calls $0.55

River: ($1.82) K :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50
    • axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      ~ HOMEWORK NR. 3 ~

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      Ok.

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?
      Preflop I would have 50,75% against his 49,25%. On the flop though, I stand very badly with 26,45% against 73,55%.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Firstly, I assigned this range to BU :22+, A2s+, KQs (after he called preflop) because he's full stack and dont't know anything else.
      On the flop, when he checks back he might be slowplaying some pp (aka set) or a served straight or he has a draw and waits for his card to come. With overpairs I think he would have betted (assuming he's not a fish to slowplay aces).
      The turn card completes the straight but also gives other posibilities for draws. My equity here stands very bad (36,83%) vs his range(A2s+,22+). I have to call a miraise (wich to me seems kinda weak) giving me the pot odds of 4:1 which is a close call but taking into consideration some implied odds (because after his minraise i think he would still make/call a small bet on the river) this is a call from me.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      77 set on drawy flop
    • axeboy90
      axeboy90
      Bronze
      Ok, moving on to lesson 4 I read today the first article: After the flop - You have initiative. Took me like 4 hours to really read it. :)
      Now that I written 7 pages (on my notebook) of ideas about the article I found some spots (turn play) where I don't know what to do. Please tell your opinion.

B - bet, R - raise, C - call, X - check
      In all spots, we had initiative on the flop!

1. TURN - In Position - VS 1 Opp who checks
      We have a strong made hand (2pairs, flush, str8):
      ------ BLANK card comes --> B/R or B/C ??
      ------ DRAW card comes --> B/R or B/F ??

2. TURN - IP - VS 1 Opp who bets
      We have TPGK or TPTK:
      --------- BLANK card --> C or R ?

3. TURN - IP - VS 1 Opp who bets
      We have a strong made hand (2pairs, flush, etc):
      --------- DRAW card comes --> R or C ? or R/F?

4. TURN - IP - VS more Opp - all checked
      We have TPGK or TPTK:
      --------- BLANK card --> B/F ???

5. TURN - IP - VS more Opp - all checked
      We have a strong made hand (2pairs, flush, str8, etc) --> B/C or B/R ??

6. TURN - IP - VS more Opp - bet ahead
      We have a strong made hand:
      ------- BLANK card --> R/C ??
      ------- DRAW card --> C ??

7. TURN - OOP - VS 1 Opp
      We have TPLK --> X/F, X/C ??

8. TURN - OOP - VS 1 Opp
      We have a strong made hande --> B/R ??
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

About the part where you mixing the games it ain't very good. Cause clearly you may get tilted in cash game then it affects your MTTs. Therefore try to keep for example one day for MTTs until you are also able to handle your tilt.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

About 3betting you have to watch out against what kind of players you playing. Especially if they Call loose you should be tightening rather up your hand and don't 3bet every blocker type of holdings. Why? Cause they may be dominated very easily and then you going to overplay your TP holding once you hit it.

Raise sizes depend really what position you playing and how loose you opening. So far I do agree with you and seems like you have a working system. :)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      About your stats it seems that you playing a very tight game. Though it's nothing horrible overall cause you are just in the learning phase. So want to learn preflop/postflop game and then start changing your style.

About your hands if you want to get them analyzed please could you post them into Hand Evaluation forums. Rather would like to keep this for theory mainly & homework.

Also if you want to get a deeper analyze about your stats I strongly recommend getting a better view of them, the way you are representing them I see really few stats and they ain't even average.

About your notes and questions how to play a specific hand it's very difficult to say. It's always DEPENDS, and sometimes we play this way, sometimes other way -> strongly recommend posting hands and learn from them than build a robotic game.