Assigning Ranges

• gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      When you are assigning a range to a player (for those players that do), doesn't matter which one: bluffing, opening, 3betting, defending etc. I assume most players make their decision based on a combination of, all or some of the following: Hud Stats, Observing and making notes of the players previous play, what you would do if you were in that players place and what winning players would do in that situation. My question is what other information if any do you take into consideration when assigning a particular range to a player.
  • 8 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gp00053
      what winning players would do in that situation
      poker ez, right? :p

you just want to be thinking at one level above villain, ie bad regs don't even adapt so it doesn't really matter if YOU would throw in a 4bet bluff after being 3bet for the fourth time in a row
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      Originally posted by gp00053
      what winning players would do in that situation
      poker ez, right? :p

you just want to be thinking at one level above villain, ie bad regs don't even adapt so it doesn't really matter if YOU would throw in a 4bet bluff after being 3bet for the fourth time in a row
      How do you decide if someone is a bad reg?
      I use acombo of: Hud Stats, Observing and making notes of the players previous play, how I would play in that players situation and what is the general accepted play by winning players in that players situation. I take detailed notes on players while I'm playing, reviewing and observing. So my assignment of a range to a player is heavily waited towards observation and note taking more than the others. I was talking to a person who plays 8+ tables he said is assignment is based more on the stats he has on a particular player and what is general acceptable play based on winning players. So how do you decide who is a bad reg
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      by "the general accepted play by winning players in that players situation" you mean the "standard" line, i assume.

anyway i wasn't too fair in my previous statement, as even between bad regs we have a lot of different breeds, ie some may overadapt or adapt badly.
      so well, everything you said is valid, just add some "adjustment factor". :f_biggrin:

adjust to villains, try to figure out how (or if) villain's adjusting to you, then adjust to his adjustment. dynamics may easily make a villain deviate heavily from his usual stats
      that's what pokers is all about imo, easier said than done obv
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      by "the general accepted play by winning players in that players situation" you mean the "standard" line, i assume.
      :f_confused: Thank you that's exactly what I meant, but couldn't figure out an easy way to say it. but yes standard line

I agree, most everything worth having is easier said that done.

Thanks for the input
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      Don't know about limits u play, but this is how u should think through the hand in basic level :

a) We have polarized range (we bet/raise) -
      1. Put all obvious calls in his range
      2. Add some floats and slowplays if he's capable of doing that

b) Villain has polarized range
      1. All value hands + strong draws
      2. Balance it out with bluffs (if u play micros, better just think that he could be bluffing instead of trying to put him on particular bluff hands)

Edit : I usually use only stats when putting someone on range. Most of reads will be something like double floated with air, etc. That doesn't help that much to determine villain's range because we still don't know how often he's doing that.
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by getdotacom
      Don't know about limits u play, but this is how u should think through the hand in basic level :

Edit : I usually use only stats when putting someone on range. Most of reads will be something like double floated with air, etc. That doesn't help that much to determine villain's range because we still don't know how often he's doing that.
      Question was not how you think about a hand. The question was "When you are assigning a range to a player, doesn't matter which one: bluffing, opening, 3betting, defending etc. I assume most players make their decision based on a combination of, all or some of the following: Hud Stats, Observing and making notes of the players previous play, what you would do if you were in that players place and the standard line would be based on accepted play. My question is what other information if any do you take into consideration when assigning a particular range to a player."

When I assign a range the above is what I consider, as well as how many tables someone is playing. what I want to kow is, is there any other info that you consider that I haven't listed.

Good point about the limit you're playing at. Depending on the site I play small or mid stakes
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      most useful stats are 3bet, cbet, fold to 3bet and fold to cbet. Cold call could be useful too.

Helps you define villain's preflop and postflop range very well, like someone with 20% fold to cbet is definitely floating overs all the time with backdoor nonsense whereas someone with 55% Fold to cbet has a very solid calling range.

Same goes for fold to 3bet. Look at the positional opening and fold to 3b stat, then you roughly know the % in his range for calling and 4betting.
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      most useful stats are 3bet, cbet, fold to 3bet and fold to cbet. Cold call could be useful too.

Helps you define villain's preflop and postflop range very well, like someone with 20% fold to cbet is definitely floating overs all the time with backdoor nonsense whereas someone with 55% Fold to cbet has a very solid calling range.

Same goes for fold to 3bet. Look at the positional opening and fold to 3b stat, then you roughly know the % in his range for calling and 4betting.
      What's minimum # of hands you would use to rely on those stats and at what limit do find most advantage? I know you don't normally play micros, I'm finding Nl100 - NL200 is where I get most advantage from stats. above that you need huge samples for them to be of much use. I find them to be of little use for NL50 and below.