Playing from BB in fairly loose tournaments

• slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Silver
      Hiya,

I've been playing a lot of $5.50 tournements on Betfair recently and am unsure how to play from BB at times.

its 100/200 20 ante
      I'm in BB with 11,000 and Kd 7c
      UTG+1 has 13,500 he raises to 400 and its folded round to me (he has only been at table for 13 hands but has open limped from early position 4 times)

First question, should I call?
      I did, as I put him on something like 88+, KQs+ so if I miss the flop its an easy fold

Pot is 1,100
      Flop comes 4h Kd Tc
      I check
      He bets 2,500

What should I do now?
      It is the first time i have seen him do such a big over bet, I'm worried he might have AK or TT but hoping he has something like QQ or JJ
      Should I have bet and then made a decision if I got raised?

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • Krist2ps
      Krist2ps
      Bronze
      Fold preflop, with K7o you'll be behind most of the times. Just wait for better spot. Even if you hit the flop, it will be very hard to play for you.

You said yourself, you put him on KQs+, 88+, so what are you hoping to hit that beats him?
    • slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Silver
      TBH that is the answer I expected and probably knew at the time, I think playing too much from SB and BB is one of my leaks.

Just to finish off what happened
      I reraised All In
      then after quite a delay, not sure if he was multi tabling or not, he called and showed AK and I felt like a right idiot.....

Using Poker Stove I just did those ranges and I was only about 30% pre flop but 65% post flop, so folding pre flop was looking pretty good really.

thanks for your reply
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Folding preflop is the best line here since K7o has a very low playability. Even if you hit top pair it is quite hard to play against your opponent. Hands like 87s are way better for passive defends.

On the flop he overbets and you have top pair no kicker. Imo there is no point in reraising him. If he is really bluffing you should call to let him bluff further. If he is not bluffing you will lose anyways. Personally I would simply fold since I don't think the spot ever gets +EV for me.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Silver
      Post flop I knew I was in a tricky spot, but had a bit of a mental meltdown.
      Annoyingly, I usually play pretty sensibly pre flop so I was a bit gutted when I crapped out on such a rubbish hand.

Thanks for your replies