[NL2-NL10] NL10 QQuads

• metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Was I too aggressive here? Should I have tried to let my opponent bet into me instead on the river??? I got really lucky on the river that he had exactly what I thought he had.

Villain is 45% Call PFR, so I feel he probably is gonna be a bit of a station post as well, but have less than 20 hands on him at this point. AFq of 52, pretty normal here.

Looking back I think the flop and turn bets were too small, but I was fighting my noobish instinct to slowplay quads till my fingers bleed :f_biggrin: I think I wanted it to be a size that he can call with medium pocket pairs, but probably missing a lot of value from OESD.

Although I do like that I had to overbet shove because these get way less credit than pot size river bets for some reason. I think I'm either getting nothing or everything from him on the river.

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: $4.15
      BB: $3.85
      UTG: $4.00
      UTG+1: $10.01
      Hero (MP): $10.03
      MP+1: $10.00
      CO: $7.60
      BTN: $4.45

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10, CO posts DB $0.15

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero has Q:spade: Q:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, CO calls $0.40, fold, fold, fold

Flop: ($1.20, 2 players) K:diamond: 6:heart: Q:club:
      Hero bets $0.50, CO calls $0.50

Turn: ($2.20, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.00, CO calls $1.00

River: ($4.20, 2 players) A:club:
      Hero bets $5.55, CO calls $5.55 and is all-in

Hero shows Q:spade: Q:heart: (Four of a Kind, Queens) (Pre 57%, Flop 97%, Turn 100%)
      CO shows A:spade: K:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Kings) (Pre 43%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)
      Hero wins $14.61
  • 3 replies
    • Tidway442
      Tidway442
      Bronze
      Always hard to fight the temptation to slowplay a set and then quads.

I think you're right the flop bet should have been bigger. If he's got a hand that's going to call $0.50 he's going to have a hand that will call $0.80. If he calls here he likely has AK AQ 66 KQ JT which you beat or AA/KK but I'm assuming he'd 3-bet pre-flop with these so we'll eliminate that. The Q on the river would be a scary card for the opponent. He no longer has AQ or KQ so the only hands likely to call a bet on the turn are AK 66 JT I can't see any other hand calling here so once again a 2/3 bet is ideal if he hasn't got it he wouldn't call anyway.

You need to find a better way to get all the money in the middle on the river. A bigger bet on the flop and turn would mean you wouldn't need to overbet shove the river. You're opponent could easily get away on the river with full house, straights, trips, quads, all beating his two pair. And since you 3-barrelled he could easily put you on a queen. If you'd bet 2/3 pot on the flop the pot on the turn would have been $2.80. A 2/3 bet on the turn would have made the size of the pot on the river $6.50. That would also have left you're opponent with 2/3 of the pot left on the river. A bet he is more likely to call I feel
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Just bet bigger on that flop, 3/4 is fine. That way you already make the pot bigger. Turn 1/2 and river jam, and it won't be a overpot there.
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CPallo
      Just bet bigger on that flop, 3/4 is fine. That way you already make the pot bigger. Turn 1/2 and river jam, and it won't be a overpot there.
      Hey metza,

As CPallo mentioned just bet the flop and turn in a way you can jam the river as a normal bet. If he is willing to pay he is gonna pay you.

Best regards,