[NL2-NL10] [FR] NL2 82s 08-11-12

• Resilence
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $1.42 (71 bb)
      BTN: $2.02 (101 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      BB: $2.12 (106 bb)
      MP1: $2.68 (134 bb)
      MP2: $0.70 (35 bb)
      MP3: $0.81 (40.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8 4
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) 3 5 Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.09, BB calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.30) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, BB calls $0.22

River: ($0.74) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks

Didn't really wanted to post this hand because I'm prolly told to fold this preflop, or to check the flop :P
      However I chose to post it, to post my thought process behind my line :)

Didn't expect villain to call here, however he could have pp which I'm sure this guy would fold if he was behind, he would also 3bet me if he had hit.

I thought if I hit my backdoor flush, I would be able to get him in, or atleast pay me off :P
      The board texture might not be to good for this and my move a bit to advanced :f_mad:
      Decided to bet for the fold equity well knowing he would continue with Qx hands.
      However I also could represent the queen...

I know had a FD I actually wanted to give up the turn had I not gotten a diamond, but I could hit the river against his pair, so decided to bet.

A blank came down so obviously gave up, also completed a flush, not sure I could be bluffing this one? (I think maybe I could have shoved here to get him to fold tho, was not sure enough of myself here, and being NL2 they still call alot of stuff :P )

...So how bad was my play? be gentle! :f_p:

• 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      Preflop: As you mentioned, yes I will tell you that this should be a fold.

Flop: Well, if your stats are correct he does fold 71% to cbets which is rather high. Thus a cbet with some equity on this board is fine. Once you get called by such an opponent we can assume that his range is rather strong.

After all if he folds anything more than 8 high you've got a better hand to fold.

Turn: What's the actual purpose of your bet? Value, Semi-bluff, bluff, etc?

Based on the flop assumptions, since he has a strong range and nothing changes this bet only serves a purpose to grow the pot in case we hit and potentially to prevent him from betting larger (than what we put in).

Now considering that he is quite aggro and he hasn't been aggressive yet we can assume that he would rarely have 2p+ which means that his range is Qx or a draw (sometime TT, JJ type hands). This means that your implied odds are not as great. On top of this his WTSD% is rather low.

Thus I rather not put money into a pot that I will lose 80% of the time (or more).

So check/folding would be my line here. Sometimes he will check back too and we get a free river.

River: What's his range after he called both streets?
    • Resilence
      Ty for the evaluation nice to see you here aswell :)

Turn: was a semibluff i guess, but as you say not much change and I don't have much fold equity here.

On river I still put him on Qx hands perhaps he completed a draw FH got there, however he would bet flop or turn, so mostly thinking Flush and QJ, KQ, AQ. He is ABC afterall.

Think i tried to outplay him which is obviously a mistake, might be because I won alot this session, knew it to be bad but still had to post it, to see if my plan was somewhat decent :f_cool:
    • veriz
      Hello Resilence,

Preflop: Depends how often he folds to steal. Though as he folds a lot to CBs then it's still possible to do that.
      Postflop: If we are stealing preflop then we should also be planning to CB here as we also were going for the fold equity. And with extra equity we of course doing the 2nd barrel as you did.

Best Regards.