SolidDC

• SolidDC
      SolidDC
      Bronze
      Hi,

My name is Dave, I'm a 19 year old IT student. Have been playing poker for about 3 years on and off in an online game called EVE online, pretty much how I made my in-game money. I consider myself to be ok at poker but playing for real money does not equal playing for virtual money so I told myself I'd start from the basics to be safe. I think I'll have fun here. :)

Thanks.
  • 2 replies
    • SolidDC
      SolidDC
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I guess I should start that one by saying I've been a gamer all my life so that it makes sense. After having started college last year and working a part-time job for the last 6 years, I'm at the point where I realize that working a 9 to 5 job or anything similar would pretty much prevent me from being happy. I've been playing Starcraft and Dota for a long time and have reached quite a high level on both games but never high enough so that I might be competitive for money and in that sense I guess poker is more of a natural transition.

I also have a family background where everyone is successful in what they undertake (Parents own a gift shop chain with 5 stores, brother founded his own construction/civil engineering company at 25 and has had massive success). Let's just say peer pressure is extremely high for me to excel in anything but I feel like if it's not gaming related and enough for me to live that I will always feel like I've missed something in my life.

My goal is to be able to live off of poker by the end of my college degree the same has an entry job in IT which is in 3 years (hopeful goal). If not, that goal extends to 5-6 years.

(I know it's long, just needed it posted somewhere so that if I ever lack motivation I just read this to get it back.)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

First weakness: I've always been very impulsive and has such tilting is one of my main problems. Starcraft has helped me a ton with it and I am still working on it but it keeps getting better. (My room had a wall with over 6 holes in it when I was 17.)

Second weakness: I have a hard time reading my opponents, as in, it's hard for me to pin if they're tight/loose players without doubting myself too much.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To be a tight aggressive player in my own words would mean that :

1) You play a number of select hands pre-flop that have decent strength in the situation they're being played to have initiative. Which means you do not end up not knowing where you stand or in a bad position on the flop.

2) You play the post-flop aggressively to force your opponents to make the decisions you didn't want to make and thus effectively place them on the defensive and keep them guessing. This, in my opinion, gives you a great deal of control over how you play your own hands.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.