[NL2-NL10] NL10 Top Pair vs potential flush on river

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      In retrospect it looks like i shouldn't have even bet this top pair because my kicker was not J or better.

But what i would really like to know is whether it was a good decision for me to c/f on the river.

I felt like the only person to call me would have been someone who had made their flush but i don't know if there was enough fold equity for me to push the hand anyway. People play suited hands too much on this limit....

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , J:spade:
      3 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, 4 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.30) J:diamond: , 9:diamond: , 2:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, MP1 calls $0.20, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.70) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50.

River: ($1.70) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.80, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $2.50

Cheers for you help guys
  • 8 replies
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      This is a check/fold all the way.
      So you should c/f flop, c/f turn and c/f river.

So yes, your decision on the river was correct.
    • Eti88
      Eti88
      Bronze
      What about a c/f flop, b/f turn line?
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      if the pot is unraised and only 3BB on the flop, I think betting 3BB is best, especially with a FD.
      on the turn I might push protecting against FD and having quite a few outs against most hands with top pair + gutshot.
      as played on the flop it would have been 17BB into a 7BB pot, so a push would be very big. is this a bad idea?
      Bronze
      Hi DaPhunk,

it can be a c/f line, especially on NL10. But I'd definitely bet it at least once - may be on the flop. Check turn since your fold equity is quite lower with second barrel. If the river bet isn't too large, call it (if no overcard hits).
    • Eti88
      Eti88
      Bronze
      I think that a bet on the turn would do better. MP1 can hold a J too, and he could call down us and maybe raise river, whats more dangerous to us. When we check the flop, and he checks too, we could be pretty sure that the flop doesnt hit him. Then bet on the turn, and in river if its safe.

Or I am completely wrong, its not a correct line?

(sorry for bad english, am from Hungary :) )
      Bronze
      Well, I think it doesn't matter. Or maybe it may be a better line, I just can't tell you if it does.

Either way, I find an easy check/fold being not a mistake here but maybe inaccurate and maybe not enough.

You may experience with the aggression and reaction from other players. It's how we eventually get our knowledge, isn't it? And the BSS is every short stack's ultimate goal anyway, so the sooner we know how to handle little dificulties postflop, the better for us.

Oh and by the way, no need to be sorry about, I understood what you wanted to say. I'm from Poland so also not that proficient with the language.
    • Eti88
      Eti88
      Bronze
      Okay, thanks :)
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Cheers for replies guys.

So in conclusion i had a couple of options;

- Play more aggressively on the River

- Play tighter and bet turn instead of flop

- C/F River like i did

- Bet Flop C/F turn Call minraise River

- Check it down all the way

Looks to me like it depends on the opponent what you do....