This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Overbetting Range

• mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Full Tilt Poker $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1992880
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $247.00
      UTG: $179.50
      MP: $138.85
      CO: $297.20
      Hero (BTN): $206.90
      SB: $402.35

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero is BTN with A:club: T:club:
      2 folds, CO raises to $6, Hero calls $6, 2 folds

Flop: ($15.00) 8:club: 8:heart: A:heart: (2 players)
      CO bets $8, Hero calls $8

Turn: ($31.00) A:spade: (2 players)
      CO bets $16, Hero calls $16

River: ($63.00) T:heart: (2 players)
      CO bets $267.20 all in, Hero calls $176.90 all in

Final Pot: $416.80
      CO shows A:diamond: 8:diamond: (a full house, Aces full of Eights)
      Hero shows A:club: T:club: (a full house, Aces full of Tens)
      Hero wins $413.80
      (Rake: $3.00)

I was thinking of villain's play. Is it good to overbet your entire AX range here with AT and 88? I think as caller i have far fewer ATo than him cos I would 3bet a lot of the time esp with aggro squeezers in blinds.

1) Differences in Position: For example I think the standard opening ranges from UTG excludes ATo but MP includes ATo. Does it make a difference?

2) Differences in River card: J/Q/K make much of a difference? I suppose the K strengthens the PFR a lot more cos I rarely have AK.

3) Sizing: Any point in making it 2X instead of 3X?
  • 2 replies
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I don't like overbetting here with any hand in villain's shoes. c/r is much better with nutted hands and betting normal sizing with Ax makes more sense to get value from 8x and Khi. I like overbetting only if we check back Ax here. I think most people will bet it when checked to.
    • lnternet
      lnternet
      Bronze
      Assuming he wants to have an overbet range, he can balance his AT/88 with either Ax or pure air, or a combination. What is better depends how his Ax performs in other lines, like betting small or checking.

1) He only jams AT/88 for value and a corresponding amount of (semi-)bluffs to make your Ax break even between calling and folding.

2) same deal with AJ on a J and so on

3) if he is polarized to AT+ then as big as possible should be good.

Should he have an overbet range? I don't think so. It's def ok but I really don't even like the triple barrel line here unless you have some really small sizing. I'd check almost all hands on the turn or river.