Getting Tired Of Freerolls

• dazahome
      dazahome
      Bronze
      I am getting sick of playing freerolls. Because of sum of the idiots that keep going all in in the first hand all the way up to the first break. The amount of time that i have had a large pair and get bet by someone going all in on a hand with there hand witch hand 2 cards under 10 and winner on the flop. yesterday i had AA on first hand and the 4 players went all in before me so i folded one of them had 28 then flop come 882 it was sick. Anyone else fill the same way? had enough of it.
  • 9 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      FreeRolls = Playing tight untill you've got monsters where the blinds are getting higher thus the players tighter.

I limp in with any pocket / suited connectors on any position in the first 4 blind rounds.

I also raise more (6bb instead of 4BB) in the early blind rounds.

Just be patienced and play some cash money tables as well ;)
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      I'd have never, ever folded AA preflop on the first hand of a tournament. Ever.

You're still a HUGE favorite, even against 4 random hands. Something like 55.8% for you vs 11% for each of the four of them.

I'm not saying there are not times to fold aces preflop during a tournament, but the first hand isn't one of them. Ever.

You're such a huge favorite with that starting hand that if you happen to get them cracked, so be it. But you'll win with them, MUCH more than you'll lose with them, and by folding them preflop, you're not even giving them a chance to use your significant advantage.

If you're not playing AA preflop, just what hand are you waiting for?

That would have been a dream situation for me, a chance to quintuple up on the very first hand.
    • VinoKOM
      VinoKOM
      Bronze
      I would hav clicked the all in button faster than u can say it!

I would do it even if the whole table had gone all in b4 me!

@Velak:

in wat situation would u fold aces preflop in a tournament? I would never fold aces preflop, nomatter when in the tournament! U will always hav the best of it... So wats wrong?
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      well, I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but let's say heads up, with AA, you're an 85% favorite. Against 2 people, it may be like 70%.

So, 85% of the time, you'll win heads up.

So, let's say you're deep into a tournament, and there's significant money difference between where you are, and the next position. I person enters the pot all in before you, and gets called..and the situation is such that one will knock the other out, to move you up in money.

You have 100% chance of making the next money position, if you let one of them knock the other out, and about a 30% chance of tripling one of them up, if you jump in with them and play your aces.

In a case like that, I'd fold the aces. But I'd assume a situation like this comes up rarely enough so as not to consider it, in a normal situation.

I was just stating that there may (rarely) exist times when it could be considered "correct, strategic play" to fold aces preflop, but.. the first hand in tournament with a great chance of quintupling up, isn't one of 'em, IMHO.
    • VinoKOM
      VinoKOM
      Bronze
      I can c wat ur sayin, but i dont agree wit it. The greatest jump in prize money always comes between 1st and 2nd.. So, surely, if u manage 2 get a triple up early on itm, u would b more likely 2 b able 2 take this, whereas, if u fold, u will b guaranteed more money.. But will hav a lesser chance of winnin the tournament overall. And isnt this supposed 2 b the goal in every tournament? Not only just 2 make it a little bit further itm.

it would b nice if some tournament coaches could give their opinions if possible please?

i still wouldnt fold aces on that 3 way all in on the money bubble tho. :)
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      I didn't say "the money bubble". I said Deep in a tournament, where 1 place means a significant difference, and you have a 30% chance of tripling someone else up, rather than him just doubling up. (while knocking someone else out)

You goal is to win as much money as you can, hopefully first place, but sometimes you have to play strategically to get there.

If this situation moves you from 3rd to second, I would do it in a heartbeart and worry about outplaying the last guy heads up.

As I said, it would be a rare enough situation so as not to worry about it happening to you. =)

Best advice is don't fold aces preflop.
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Folding aces is +EV in some cases. If you are in the bubble of a satellite is one example.
    • VinoKOM
      VinoKOM
      Bronze
      Oh yes.. I fully agree wit foldin aces on the bubble of a satellite! My mistake.

Thank u very much for pointin that out.
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      I played $0.10 turbos on stars to get a feel for multi table tourneys, since I only played single tables, and it was really idiotic. You need a lot of luck to win turbos and free rolls, I finished like 90th/360 waiting for a monster to finally be in a push/fold situation.