Arxyn

• 7 replies
    • Arxyn
      Arxyn
      Bronze
      Homework 1 :

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My motivation is to learn and improve. I've always enjoying sinking a lot of time and effort into my hobbies. In my opinion, poker offers the nice benefit of rewarding you with money as you improve.

I'm hoping to get to a comfortable level where I can earn some extra money during my free time.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I have several weaknesses in my play.

1- I do not spend enough time on post game analysis after a session.
      2- Difficulty making confident decisions on the turn / river.
      3- I probably go to the showdown too often and have difficulty letting go of mediocre hands
      4- Too focused on short term results, I'm constantly looking at my bankroll.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing TAG means you play few hands, in good positions and play those hands aggressively.

You want to be careful of limping into pots and being put into positions where you have to play defensive.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Being result oriented is a huge problem, cause clearly in poker you going to face a lot bad runs. Where you going to lose a lot money and confidence in your game. Therefore rather try to face it and understand that it's just part of the game, it will only get you stronger. Nor the bankroll checking ever gonna help you out, rather in the end of the session look at it how you did than during session, you want to stay concentrated!

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • Arxyn
      Arxyn
      Bronze
      Homework 2 :

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Playing 6max I think playing AKs more aggressively as well as QQ and maybe even JJ would be ok.

I think I should also start playing a lot of hands differently based on the stats of the players on the table. I think stack size should also be taken into my decision on playing hands.

Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL2 6max, AK, top pair into trips

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AKo - 46.32%
      88+,AJs+,KQs,AKo - 53.68%
    • Arxyn
      Arxyn
      Bronze
      Homework 3 :

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Your equity pre flop is 50.60%
      Your equity on the flop is 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

We have a flush draw and two over cards. I don't think hitting any of the over cards however would likely give us the best hand.

We have 9 outs for the flush meaning we need 4:1 odds. We are getting slightly higher then that which means we are good to call here.

I'm unsure what range we would have to put BU on though... He called raise from BU so he could be playing for set value. I'd think he would have bet the flop if he hit his set. If we are assuming he has 66 or 33 we would have to discount some of our outs too.

I watched the coaching video where this hand is review and I'm not sure why we need to discount the 3c and 4c. If the opponent had those set on flop we would expect him to bet. The video by hasebraten advises us the the range we put opponents on should match with their pre flop, post flop action. Without player stats I find it difficult to find a range, why do we assume villain slow plays sets then makes a small raise on turn for value?

Villain makes a low re raise on turn after a 5 shows up... I would put him on either a set, two pair or possibly going for a draw. I find it kind of hard to see him calling a raise with something like A-4 or 4-7. If he didn't complete straight yet, I don't see him raising.

Either way, we have enough odds to call and can probably assume we have best hand if we hit.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation

nl2 6 max Trips vs fish on draw board

nl2 6max QQ vs large overbet on turn

After doing this week's class / homework I think I need to spend a lot more time putting people on ranges. I'm having difficulty with that... My goal for this week will be to evaluate / post all hands I'm unsure in the hand evaluation forum. Before posting the hand though, I'll try to self evaluate it myself using equilab and hand ranges.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Arxyn
      Homework 2 :

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Playing 6max I think playing AKs more aggressively as well as QQ and maybe even JJ would be ok.

I think I should also start playing a lot of hands differently based on the stats of the players on the table. I think stack size should also be taken into my decision on playing hands.
      Well said. Poker is a game of information. The more information we have the more we can deviate from the "standard" and thus make adjustments (for the better).

When looking at the information we have about a player effective stack size is on of the many pieces of the puzzle so it's definitely important.

Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL2 6max, AK, top pair into trips

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AKo - 46.32%
      88+,AJs+,KQs,AKo - 53.68%
      Don't forget to keep posting hands and questions (and of course to analyze your own hands/game).

I would also like to invite you to the No-Limit Special [Beginner] Coaching which is held every Sunday. Here's a link to more information: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/176692/
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Arxyn
      Homework 3 :

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Your equity pre flop is 50.60%
      Your equity on the flop is 26.46%
      Looks good.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

We have a flush draw and two over cards. I don't think hitting any of the over cards however would likely give us the best hand.

We have 9 outs for the flush meaning we need 4:1 odds. We are getting slightly higher then that which means we are good to call here.

I'm unsure what range we would have to put BU on though... He called raise from BU so he could be playing for set value. I'd think he would have bet the flop if he hit his set. If we are assuming he has 66 or 33 we would have to discount some of our outs too.

I watched the coaching video where this hand is review and I'm not sure why we need to discount the 3c and 4c. If the opponent had those set on flop we would expect him to bet. The video by hasebraten advises us the the range we put opponents on should match with their pre flop, post flop action. Without player stats I find it difficult to find a range, why do we assume villain slow plays sets then makes a small raise on turn for value?

Villain makes a low re raise on turn after a 5 shows up... I would put him on either a set, two pair or possibly going for a draw. I find it kind of hard to see him calling a raise with something like A-4 or 4-7. If he didn't complete straight yet, I don't see him raising.

Either way, we have enough odds to call and can probably assume we have best hand if we hit.
      Well said and I agree with you that villain will rarely have a set here.

However when calculating our equity we can also look at worse case scenario (where we lose two outs).

It's also important to add that we have a backdoor flush draw which usually gets paid off more often (we get less credit for it) and thus we have better implied odds.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation

nl2 6 max Trips vs fish on draw board

nl2 6max QQ vs large overbet on turn

After doing this week's class / homework I think I need to spend a lot more time putting people on ranges. I'm having difficulty with that... My goal for this week will be to evaluate / post all hands I'm unsure in the hand evaluation forum. Before posting the hand though, I'll try to self evaluate it myself using equilab and hand ranges.
      Well done. I do advise that you keep posting hands on the evaluation board and try to analyze as much as you can before hand (and let us know what you think and why you took the line you did).

I'd also like to invite you to the No-Limit Special [Beginner] Coaching which is held every Sunday (more info: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/176692/)

Best of luck