[NL2-NL10] sh nl4 KQs

• Madesco
      Madesco
      Bronze
      Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $4 (100 bb)
      BB: $3.96 (99 bb)
      CO: $2.33 (58.3 bb)
      BTN: $2.28 (57 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q K
      CO folds, BTN calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.20, BB folds, BTN calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.44) 9 5 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.31, BTN calls $0.31

Turn: ($1.06) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.75, BTN calls $0.75

River: ($2.56) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

villain 36/4 -29 hands

i guess i should have given up after my bet on the flop?
  • 4 replies
    • boozaf
      boozaf
      Bronze
      Preflop - Standard; you should be ahead of villain's range.

Flop - The board is relatively dry so a continuation bet would be o.k.; on the other hand, there's not much you can represent other than overpairs or maybe T9, 99. You should check for villain's WTS range to help you decide.

Turn - If you're image is of a TAG, you can't represent trips when the 5 comes. Altough improbable, villain could have a 5 and a likely ragged flush, so that should prevent you from firing your second barrel. If villain were a TAG then you could consider bluffing the flush or a full house with 99, but a TAG would rarely have this line. Again you should check for villain's WTS range when choosing to 2nd barrel the turn.

Keep in mind that a bluff not only should be done against someone who is capable of folding but also should be coherent/plausible and preferably in a draw heavy board; in this case you can only represent a flush or a full house, the latter committing you to bet big on the river.

River - I don't see how can you extract value from a hand with which you're very likely behind against this guy. Villain wouldn't fold to anything less than a shove but that would be exceedingly risky so the check seems fine.

Good luck :)
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      check/fold flop vs fish who presumably wont fold that often
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      No need to bet against a station, he won't fold his holdings and you don't improve that often. If you had some draw yourself (e.g. GSSD) you could bet once.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Preflop is fine.

I don't like the cbet on the flop on that low connected board OOP.

We have little equity in the hand (2 overs) and villain can call with a lot. Furthermore we can't continue on many turns so we should simply give up on our hand.