[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQo on BB - 1st hand of session

• Baconbits
      Baconbits
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, this is my first try posting a hand so I hope this is ok.

I've just recently switched to NL FR from Fixed Limits as I've been getting a bit frustrated lately. I've been playing for about a year and always wanted to try my hand at NL so I thoght now would be a good time to start, using the stack PS kindly gave me and the SSS.

Anyway, the hand...

Known players:
      Hero:
      $2.00
      UTG+1:
      $11.58
      UTG+2:
      $5.33
      MP1:
      $3.80
      MP2:
      $3.40
      MP3:
      $1.70
      CO:
      $8.98
      BU:
      $0.80
      SB:
      $9.90

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.50 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , Q:diamond:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, 4 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.70, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.60, SB folds.

Flop: ($1.60) 3:heart: , 8:club: , J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30 (All-In), MP1 calls $1.30.

Turn: ($4.20) 4:spade:
      River: ($4.20) 9:diamond:

Final Pot: $4.20

Now my question, was I correct in betting the flop like that, with just 1 opponent? I'm happy with the size of the bet as 2/3 of the pot was more than half my stack, just wondered if I should c/f here, especially as this was the first hand of the session and I had no information on the villain.

One thing I did get from this hand was a little advertising value - 10 minutes later I had AA and ended up against the same guy in the same situation and he called me with 88 and I got my money back :)
  • 2 replies
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Please remove the results from your post, it might influence people's reactions.
      Besides that, the results don't really matter, it's all about playing your hand correct or not.

About the hand, you just did that good.
      Preflop raise is good, but you can also move all-in (that's probably what the judges will advise you to do :) )

On the flop it's an easy push. Normal continuation bet and the pot is bigger than your stack.

And good thing you've started posting here, now keep them coming :D
      Bronze
      Hello Baconbits,

you did fine, it's all accordingly to the strategy we gave you so cannot be wrong. But (there's always a 'but') you could've gone all-in pre-flop already (another time using judge-reading skills, DeKuip? ;) ). Why? Two reasons:

- Already three limpers which mean maximasing fold equity is something you WANT, because $0.4's already in the pot.

- You'd be out of position postflop if utg+2 or mp1 calls your raise (that's what happened, didn't it?). Out of position with such a big pot already means you have to push every time just to make continuation bet. It's wiser to do it already preflop.

About the continuation bet thing few more words: Conti-push every time your stack is lower than the pot size and even when it's slightly larger! It makes no sense to bet 2/3 pot when it leaves you like 3-4BB's, doesn't it?

Good luck with your switching to NL; looking forward to see many hands of yours! ;)