How to loosen up?

• DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Hi

I'm a NL10/NL20 player. PokerTracker says that i am an agressive 11/5 nit. That is obviously way too tight and while it works on NL10 (6.5PTBB/100) and NL20 I am concerned it won't work anymore on higher limits (players will adapt). Is this true?

How does one loosen up?

When I say to myself before a session " i will play looser", i just end up losing money. I am aware that my post-flop game is not the greatest, i just don't know what to do with top pair-medium kicker when getting reraised or something similar. So i just (too) often fold. I don't think bluffing at NL10/NL20 is +EV, people will usually call a lot.

What do you recommend me? Should I keep playing tight because it works, or try to loosen up, and prepare myself for NL30, NL50.....

What are the desirable stats of a good TAG? 20/15?
  • 11 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I assume you're talking about FR - I don't know much about it, but I can tell you this much: don't aim for given stats. Just follow the SHC and make sure to constantly look out for any leaks you might have. Concerning post-flop play, (re-)read articles and more importantly, watch videos. That's probably the best way (barring private coaching ofc) of improving your post-flop play.

just in case you're talking of SH: get the right SHC!:D
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      i've heard that optimal FR stats are 16/14. optimal SH stats are very player dependent, some thrive on 33/28, others with 16/14, but most regular tags are something like 20-22/16-18

the best way to losen up is to start 3betting the **** out of your opponents when you're in position. When you start feeling comfortable in 3bet pots, try some restealing from the blinds. That should do it. To put in another way, play more postional and less your cards value.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lilprincess
      i've heard that optimal FR stats are 16/14. optimal SH stats are very player dependent, some thrive on 33/28, others with 16/14, but most regular tags are something like 20-22/16-18

the best way to losen up is to start 3betting the **** out of your opponents when you're in position. When you start feeling comfortable in 3bet pots, try some restealing from the blinds. That should do it. To put in another way, play more postional and less your cards value.
      I'm pretty sure that's way too loose for FR :D

about that 2nd part: not at NL20! and 3-betting in any position without a strong hand definitely isn't profitable
    • DrFunk
      DrFunk
      Bronze
      Yes, I was talking about FR.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      i'm pretty sure its not, well maybe it is for nl20, but its what FR pros say.

how come 3betting IP with a weak hand isn't profitable ?? (of course I didn't 3bet UTG but more CO), (that is in SH)
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Raise more hands on tight tables- for instance you could easily raise ace-x suited, suited connectors, low pockets or even ace rag if first in, even in middle position(I raise pairs in early position sometimes too).
      On tight tables there's just no point in limping as you will pick up the blinds very often if raising. Even if you don't you could take it down via a contination bet. And if they catch you raising lightly - you could get more action on your premium hands. My last session I stacked a guy who played quite tight because I was raising very often. He got irritated and payed me off with just 88 as overpair against my set. On another hand he 3-betted me when I had QQ. It works well.

I catched up doing this lighter raising after watching the session reviews here on PS, hasenbraten is doing it :)

Loosen up on the tight tables(sometimes there aren't many loose tables available), that's my advise. On fishy tables there's no need to do that but there aren't always enough loose tables available, are they :)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze

how come 3betting IP with a weak hand isn't profitable ?? (of course I didn't 3bet UTG but more CO), (that is in SH)
      Caculate the ranges with which your opponent will:
      - open
      - call a 3-bet (can be much wider than you think)
      - 4-bet

Determine how often you have to win to make the play profitable, and adjust your own range accordingly. You can't just say "3-bet in position, it's profitable", because it's 100% dependant on table dynamics
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout

Caculate the ranges with which your opponent will:
      - open
      - call a 3-bet (can be much wider than you think)
      s
      this is very true. that's why i think light 3 betting isn't that effective in FR - only in blind battle sometimes or with reads against a regular.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      that's true for SH too - you'd be surprised by what even nits call 3-bets with
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      well, 3betting trash isnt a good idea
      having a polar range is
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I have polarizing sunglasses. WIll they work? They actually block all light from my LCD's if I tilt my head slightly