[NL2-NL10] K9o bu

• HrabriLavek
      Villain is a fishy player with whom I wanted to play as many pots in position as I can...anyway:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, 9.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.02, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, UTG2 calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.23) 9, 8, 9 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.23) J (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0.16, UTG2 calls $0.16.

River: ($0.55) 6 (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18.

Final Pot: $0.91.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, nines(K 9).
      UTG2 shows two pairs, jacks and nines(J 5).

Hero wins with three of a kind, nines(K 9).

checked on the flop because I think I am ahead of his range and he might just fold here, so Ill allow him to catch up so I can extract more value

I think I made a mistake not reraising the river though, his bet was kinda small, but there might be a flush that got there...what do you think?

• 3 replies
    • CPallo
      You should bet that flop already. So many draws (SD, FD) possible. On turn you bet again. I wouldn't raise that river, what hands do you think he would call there with? It would be absolutely the worst play possible to raise river as all draws finish there :)
    • BogdanPS
      The mistake is definitely not betting the flop.

There are enough worse hands that can call a cbet there so we should look to extract as much value as possible.

As played we can bet bigger on turn and possibly raise river for value.

But going back to the flop I feel that you are losing a ton of value by checking back (and reduce the chance that you will play for stacks).
    • HrabriLavek
      thanks guys, I just wanted to keep him in by checking the flop and hoped the turn card would help him out a bit, but I can see what you think in terms of getting more value