[NL2-NL10] JJ bu

• HrabriLavek
      Villain on CO is 27/23 with AF 4 (small sample - 22 hands)
      the bb is a passive fish with 64/8

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, J.
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) A, 5, 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18, BB calls $0.18.

Turn: ($0.79) 9 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.79) 9 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.79.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and nines(J J).
      CO shows two pairs, aces and nines(A 4).
      BB shows a pair of nines(7 2).

CO wins with two pairs, aces and nines(A 4).

was my mistake not raising preflop with JJ(kinda think this is since his CO opening range is probably wider) or not betting the turn once they both checked (might get weaker aces to fold?)

• 4 replies
    • CPallo
      I'd 3-bet this hand pre (I'm a LAG, though). CO opens wide and often we take the pot pre or at least with Cbet.

I guess there's no value betting the turn, both opponents seem like guys who can't fold their holdings. Even calling the flop off was a bit marginal.
    • bennisboy
      Gotta 3b the hand PF.

JJ is just too strong PF not to against the CO range. If we plug in to equilab we get the below results

Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     30.32%  29.88%   0.44% { 22+, A7s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, A9o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 98o, 87o }
      BU     69.68%  69.25%   0.44% { JJ }

We had 70% equity here.

And by just calling here, yes we have position, but the big money is made in poker when you are IP and have INITIATIVE. If you 3b here, you take the initiative away from the CO and give yourself a better idea of his range.

You also make it harder for one of the blinds to complete. By just calling, we give them better odds to call behind.

If you had 3b before the flop, you'd have likely taken down the pot there and then.

If the CO had called OOP, it makes his life a lot tougher, he knows you're repping a string range, and with TP no kicker, he's gonna have to lay it down more often than not
    • HansTheGreat
      He4y HrabriLavek,

Preflop: 3bet preflop since there are ton of weaker hands that can call you.
      Postflop: Fold already on the flop. Doubt that the guy s Cbetting there loose into a 3way pot and remember you have also another player to act behind you.

Best regards,
    • HrabriLavek
      thanks for the help guys, my thoughts exactly after I analyzed this hand