[NL2-NL10] NL2, AKo miss flop: fit or fold?

• ArtCascade
      ArtCascade
      Bronze
      People tell me that the most important thing for a beginner (that's me btw) is to get value from your big hands. If you fold too many marginal hands, that is not a big deal as I understand, as I should be able to go plus on the lower limits anyway.

Well, I am trying to do that, but I get the feeling that I am a bit of a "fit or fold" nit, which makes it hard for me to take other players into big pots very often. I feel that I am too predictable (for the regulars), and that I could easily play more aggressively on many flops with +EV. Problem is that I have no clue when I should be aggressive and when to get out.

First step is the cbet, but unless the conditions are very clean (i raise preflop, have position, villain checks and dry board where I can still represent something) I get uncertain and tend to fold anything less that top pair. These conditions don't happen that often, so I do a lot of folding...

This hand for example (villain unknown, had like 10 hands with him at the time):

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $1.06
      BB:
      $3.60
      UTG1:
      $2.36
      UTG2 (Hero):
      $2.00
      MP1:
      $3.47
      MP2:
      $0.93
      MP3:
      $2.08
      CO:
      $1.60
      BU:
      $1.37

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A, K.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 5 folds, SB calls $0.07, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.18) 7, T, 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.09

Final Pot: $0.18.

I ended up folding, but I get the feeling that a better player would have played this hand in some way. I was tempted to raise as a kind of cbet, but as I didn't know how I would play the rest of the hand if villain had called, I chose not to. Calling didn't make much sense to me, my six outs are not enough for pot odds right?

Also I have no clue an what range to put him... I can definitely see him having a pair with a high kicker, but I also see this kind of flop bets with essentially nothing. Could ofc be OESD, and I guess there are plenty of people that call a preflop bet with 8J, but that is so small aprt of the range, so I don't think I should care about it. I have my six outs, so not really sure if I am ahead of his range or not. I guess a raise would some kind of semibluff?

I think my questions are:
      1) Should I stay in this hand?
      2) If yes, what is my plan for the rest of the hand? fold to bets if I don't hit turn? second barrel?

Thanks.
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I would fold this hand to a donk vs unknown. There are too many pairs and pairs+draws that would call a raise and our equity is not the greatest (sure we have 2 overcards but that's it).

If you did stay in the hand I would either raise to 2.5-3x and then reevaluate turn (most likely give up unimproved). CAlling may be an option but against unknown I rather not start bluffcatching without information.