[NL20-NL50] NL50 anon QTs

• burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I understand QTs might be a bit too loose to defend here, but the guy had 16% 3-b over 90 hands and even more against BU. So I decided to defend this time.

Now to postflop, what's the best line here? I thought he would continue barreling with his value hands and I have to bet turn for value/protection from draws and overcards, however he spoiled my plans with c/r, so I don't know whether it's a profitable call or not? I thought his range will be polarized to draws and some monsters like straights/sets. What would be best play here against anonymous aggressive 3-bettor?

$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem
      Prima
      5 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($130.84) 262bb
      CO ($50) 100bb
      Hero (BTN) ($50) 100bb
      SB ($73.23) 146bb
      BB ($50.62) 101bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.75, 5 players) Hero is BTN Q T
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1, SB raises to $3.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.50

Flop: 7 T 3 ($6.50, 2 players)
      SB bets $4, Hero calls $4

Turn: 9 ($14.50, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $7.25, SB goes all-in $65.73, Hero goes all-in $35.25

River: T ($99.50, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Cheers,
      burek2000
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello burek2000,

Preflop: Depends on the opponent of course and our postflop understanding. We clearly gonna need to know a bit more about the opponent to play also profitable postflop. If rather unknown then 4bet/Folding is better here.

As played
      Postflop: What's the purpose of betting the turn? Do you think he is capable of paying worse as overcards? From what do you get value?

After the guy goes into Check/Raise mode on the turn you most likely ain't gonna do anymore very good. If he really wanted to bluff I would expect him to be 2nd barreling more often rather than Check/Raising, the same applies for draws.

Best Regards.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey veriz,

Originally posted by veriz
      Hello burek2000,

Preflop: Depends on the opponent of course and our postflop understanding. We clearly gonna need to know a bit more about the opponent to play also profitable postflop. If rather unknown then 4bet/Folding is better here.

As played
      Postflop: What's the purpose of betting the turn? Do you think he is capable of paying worse as overcards? From what do you get value?

After the guy goes into Check/Raise mode on the turn you most likely ain't gonna do anymore very good. If he really wanted to bluff I would expect him to be 2nd barreling more often rather than Check/Raising, the same applies for draws.

Best Regards.
      I agree knowing more about opponent would be very helpful here, but as the title says I play on anonymous tables and I barely get more than 100 hands on players. However, I noticed regs go crazy when it comes to 3-betting and most of them get spewy postflop thus I like to flat 3-bets IP and I basically have no 4-bet range. This might be a mistake, but so far it worked quite well on this limit.

Now my thoughts on the turn were I should bet so he folds his equity share with hands like AK/AJ/KJ/QJ or even call with them and to get value from 8x type of hands. The problem was I didn't expect him to c/r like ever because the board seemed quite drawy and I expected him to 2nd barrel or give up most of the time, maybe check/call with some draws.

So, to sum it up, I bet turn because I considered I should have the best hand here almost 100% of the time and I didn't want to give a river card for free.

Would you say my thought process was wrong and regs might check/raise this turn quite frequently for value? And that turn bet is too thin in general? Should check back on the turn to pot control be my default line here without any reads?

The villain showed 99 for turn set and it was quite a valuable note, but I play on anon tables and it only lasted till the end of the session. :(

Best regards,
      burek2000
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I agree knowing more about opponent would be very helpful here, but as the title says I play on anonymous tables and I barely get more than 100 hands on players. However, I noticed regs go crazy when it comes to 3-betting and most of them get spewy postflop thus I like to flat 3-bets IP and I basically have no 4-bet range. This might be a mistake, but so far it worked quite well on this limit.

You don't have to worry about that. :P I am familiar with them whilst I play them myself, so there is never a table where I don't have information on an opponent. Even for the given sample you can still build a image of the opponent and flag him.

Now my thoughts on the turn were I should bet so he folds his equity share with hands like AK/AJ/KJ/QJ or even call with them and to get value from 8x type of hands. The problem was I didn't expect him to c/r like ever because the board seemed quite drawy and I expected him to 2nd barrel or give up most of the time, maybe check/call with some draws.

Draws most likely go into 2nd barreling most of the time. Though his Check/Raising range is possible, especially if he also assumes that you are floating him decent amount of time. Therefore whilst not getting much value there anyways could be an option just to Check behind.

Would you say my thought process was wrong and regs might check/raise this turn quite frequently for value? And that turn bet is too thin in general? Should check back on the turn to pot control be my default line here without any reads?

Regs can easily Check/Shove with overpairs there vs your Tx/draw type of holdings and very often you will feel committed to call down which you did. That's the problem with such a play and his range is also very capped towards made hands.

The villain showed 99 for turn set and it was quite a valuable note, but I play on anon tables and it only lasted till the end of the session.

Well, you can use the information until he quits. :P Though there is not much to do with that information cause clearly as I have pointed above that I expected his raising range be made hands mainly.