[NL2-NL10] Nl10 short handed

• hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      stuffpound(BB) $9.45 - VP:25 PFR:11 AF:1.1 W:44|63 STL:37|69 3B:2| CB:100|14 N:2.51 Hands:103

Pre Flop: Me(SB) with [A :spade: ,J :club:]

Me(SB) raises 0.25, stuffpound(BB) calls 0.20

Flop: (A :club: ,T :heart: ,9 :spade:) (2 players)
      Me(SB) bets 0.42, stuffpound(BB) calls 0.42

Turn: J :spade: (2 players)
      Me(SB) bets 1.02, stuffpound(BB) raises 2.04, Me(SB) calls 1.02

River: 6d (2 players)
      Me(SB) checks, stuffpound(BB) bets 2.60, Me(SB) calls 2.60

Final:
      stuffpound(BB) shows [K :spade: ,Q :spade:]
      Me(SB) mucks [A :spade: ,J :club:]
      stuffpound(BB) wins 10.19

So he called for a gutshot and hit it. I couldn't just put him on KQ directly
      because the way he played the hand is probably pretty similar to how i would have played A10 and A9 because the board is beginning to be pretty wet. I put him on A10 and A9 when he raised. The only hand i was worried about was a set and i tought it was unlikely that he called with KQ since it was a gutshot. If i'm gonna judge myself i think i played the hand well and i lost the minimum i think. If he would have shoved. I would probably highly consider folding the hand.
  • 7 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Do you expect him to bet the river with those hands? He seems very passive so a lot of guys may not even raise there without the nuts (sets, straights, some strong 2 pair).

I personally can't see him raising too many AT/A9 so I would consider either folding turn or river.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Why wouldn't he raise with A10 or A9 to protect?
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      If im expecting him to bet on the river with those hands? Yes, because i checked. I agree to that alot of guys don't raise there on the turn but when the board is beginning to be superwet. Don't u think they would protect the hand? So when he bet that small i should just instant fold the river? Maybe since i checked the river he could have tought maybe his two pair where good.
      It's probably easy to be wise after the event and all the moves makes sense in the end but am i completely on the wrong track? And don't get me wrong. I don't think i am an expert or that i'm right. I just want to understand why i should strongly consider folding turn or river.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      helloooo?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi hvard92,

First, please use the function to have a judge revisit the hand (the hand looks judged otherwise and we don't really get to see that you are asking more questions).

To answer your first question, he seems passive and passive guys rarely raise for value without super strong hands. The strong hands on that board would be AJ, sets, straights. Also, usually a turn raise from passive guys represents a lot of strength.

If you can put him on AT and A9 then he has about 12 combinations total. That's if we include the offsuite versions and there's a chance he folds ATo or A9o preflop.

Now, what can raise and beat us? TT, 99, JJ which are 9 combos, some combos of KQ (especially if he has backdoor) so let's just choose 3. That's a total of 12 combos. He has some combos of AJ that we split versus.

So in best case scenario for us he raises 12 worse hands and 12 better hands (and some that split). So imagine the worst case.

Since some A9/AT don't call preflop I think it's realistic to assume that he has roughly 6-8 combos max of AT/A9. ANd some of these won't bet the river while all the better hands (or split) would bet.

So you can see that the there's a very small range of hands that we end up beating.

I hope this makes more sense.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      I don't know what you mean about the combos? but i understand the rest
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi hvard92.

Combo = combination

For example:

AA has 6 combos (combinations): AcAh, AcAs, AcAd, AhAs, AhAd, AsAd

Offsuite hands have 12 combos while suited hands have 4 combos.

If I hold an A then there is one less to play with and for example AQ now has only 12 combos (3 x A with 4 x Q).

So in other words combinations refers to how many hands of one type someone can have.

Once you reach the gold level there is an article that discusses them in detail: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1720/1/