[NL2-NL10] NL2: underpair vs BB

• ArtCascade
      Since it's standard to post a billion hands in separate threads at the same time, I'll take the liberty to post two. :)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4, 4.
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.02, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.05) J, J, K (2 players)
      BB bets $0.05, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.05.

It's not a big pot, but the hand made me very confused. Out of the about 20 hands with villain, he only played one, which was a 22 that hit flop and took home a big pot with aggressive play. So kindof tight, with a reservation for the low statistics. With that, not raising preflop puts villain on almost any two, but not a very strong hand, so I find it unlikely that villain hit. Would villain bet without a hit? Who knows...

So with the huge preflop range, and the dry flop, I feel that I am probably ahead at the flop, but I am a bit scared for how I would play later streets if I call. Should I reraise flop and then give the hand up if that doesn't give me the pot? (assuming ofc that I won't hit set...).

Or is it better to just not bother trying to guess bluffs at NL2 and let villain have the 5 cents?

So in summary: is there any +EV to collect from a call/raise here? And how should I play it at that point?

edit: Oh, and thanks for any help! <3 you hand evaluator guys. :)
  • 3 replies
    • yougotfelted51
      just fold flop like you did. we can't really call any turns unless the 4 peels off. lots of better spots to get into
    • BogdanPS
      We should not open limp here in the CO.

A raise would achieve multiple things: disguise the value of our hand, allow us to win pots outright preflop, give us initiative postflop, reduce the chance that someone will raise us, etc.

A raise to 6c would be sufficient.

As play I would simply fold the hand. We have almost no hand equity and we don't know anything about villain.
    • ArtCascade
      Right, ofc I should raise preflop! It's even on the chart. Don't know what I was thinking. Was probably too much in "setmine" mode, and not enough in "steal blinds" mode. :) Thanks.