[NL2-NL10] J9o ip

• legand73
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $31.31 (313.1 bb)
      UTG: $11.18 (111.8 bb)
      SB: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $10 (100 bb)
      MP: $10.25 (102.5 bb)
      BB: $10.15 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 J
      UTG raises to $0.30, MP calls $0.30, CO folds, Hero calls $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($1.30) 4 2 J (4 players)
      SB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero bets $0.90, SB calls $0.90, 2 folds

Turn: ($3.10) A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.50, SB raises to $3.20, Hero folds

$6.10 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: 4 2 J A
      SB mucked and won $5.80 ($3.10 net)
      Hero mucked 9 J and lost (-$2.70 net)

Kind of a marginal call but i figured since two guys were already in the hand that i was getting pretty good odds to call this. I hit top pair and decided to bet for value against pps and protecting somewhat against overcards.

In hindsight I don't like my turn bet because pps will probably fold to this and i don't know how many better Jx hands i could get to fold to this considering it's size.

Should my bet be bigger to try bet him off his Jx hands like KJ or QJ if i do bet it?.

otherwise i think i should just try get to showdown for cheap
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      The call preflop is very marginal (at best). I recommend you fold these hands. Despite two people in the pot already you don't really get the odds to play postflop unless you have some specific reads that will allow you to extra max value and/or bluff your opponents.

J9o will rarely flop anything great and when you do flop a pair it will be rather weak and hard to play (we would have to aim at playing small pots).

As played I'd bet smaller on the flop (>1/2) since it's very dry and we don't want to build the pot too fast.

I can't expect villain to fold a JQ/JK on the turn to our bet so I would simply check back and see what happens on the river. SB, out of all people can have the widest range (he called after 3 ppl were in the pot) hitting the flop which means that he can have even 42s and 53s for draws along with all sets.

As played after we bet we need to fold.
    • Tomaloc
      preflop call is a bit too thin.
      J9s could be called, but with J9o you can't hit much and your one pairs will rarely be good.

as played... not the best spot, but you hit top pair, so a bet is certainly in order.
      i'd make it at most like $0.75 though.

you only want to prevent overcards from realizing their equity and maybe get a cry call from a pocket pair. it's very hard for worse hands to call your $0.90 bet.
      when called just check it down. he won't have air when he c/c in a 4way pot.