Mission: Out of the hole. Currently: NL50 SH ZOOM

• Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Hello everybody,

I am a 20 year old student from Lithuania. Playing poker for about 3-4 years now. My past at poker had quite a few ups and downs, but it's the present that matters the most, right?

So here's my situation. On 17th of January, I re-started my poker career. (which at one point was playing NL100).

I deposited 70$ and started playing NL4. Been doing good, using quite an aggressive BRM I soon got to NL100, which was also going fairly well and with some help from bonuses and rakeback I was making some relatively nice money for a student.

But then the problems started. I started to run bad as f*ck. It was (and still is) actually so bad, that I am sure, it has affected my game (one of the reasons I am creating this blog). I moved down to NL50 to hopefully grind it out, but perhaps I wanted it happen too fast, maybe I was results oriented and together with these flaws, ran cold as ice.

Since my bankroll is very important to me, I am taking one step forward and moving down to NL20. It is really hard to accept that from close-to-NL200 I am back at the very micros. But as I've said in my another thread...

From one point of view this is positive, since if I had moved up to NL200 with this many flaws in both practical and mental sides of poker, I am afraid to even think what could have happened there during a run-bad stretch.

Will take this as an opportunity to refurbish my game and improve as much as I possibly can, because I just realized that you really have to do so these days to achieve something. Hopefully this will make me much better of a player and will make me ready for the midstakes!

Story of my life after 17th of January (the restart of my poker career):

GRAPH

So yeah! Contrary to the fact that most blogs are created when authors are running hotter than fire, I am creating this blog at probably the worst time of my career. I really want it to turn around and this great community might help me a lot.

My current goal is one:

:heart: Improve! Work on my game more than others! (Actively and not passively watch videos, both of practical and psychological content, participate in hand evaluation forums, attend coachings, etc and try to implement new things in a best way possible)

I understand that this is a new blog and it will take a lot of time and effort to make it at least visible to others, but I also expect some help about the hands I am not confident from other members. I will keep this updated as much as I can.

This will be a great challenge to myself and if I can successfully recover, I think this is a good sign that I can play poker.

So, here we go.

BR: 916.89 Eur.

P.S Is this possible to change my username here at pokerstrategy? :f_grin:
  • 15 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pkrpains
      P.S Is this possible to change my username here at pokerstrategy? :f_grin:
      lol, completely understandable :P

good luck, i am also having a bad (not super-awful-worstrunscenario) month :f_biggrin: 12bi down, 8 under ev, thankfully i've just moved down to nl25 so it's easier to cope with :P
      still WTF :f_biggrin:
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze

So yeah! Contrary to the fact that most blogs are created when authors are running hotter than fire, I am creating this blog at probably the worst time of my career.
      Lol. Well, I suppose we are in the same blog group then. I think it is far more interesting to see how people get out of holes than how shiny they are :f_biggrin:

Subscribed :f_love:
    • franeczek
      franeczek
      Global
      Yeah I am in that group too. It is always fun to got crushed :f_cry: Poker can be sometimes the hardest thing in life just due to all of the emotions it triggers.
      On the other hand I can assure you that e.g. getting rejected by a girl that you try to pick up won't be an issue anymore same for other real life stuff. Because of all of the emotions you face in poker real life swings are like piece of cake. ;)
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      good luck, i am also having a bad (not super-awful-worstrunscenario) month :f_biggrin: 12bi down, 8 under ev, thankfully i've just moved down to nl25 so it's easier to cope with :P
      still WTF :f_biggrin:
      Thanks and hope you run good too sir :)

Originally posted by MisClick
      Subscribed
      Wow, thanks man :) 1st subscriber! Yeah, I think the true strength of a player shows up when he faces a tough challenge.

Originally posted by franeczek
      Yeah I am in that group too. It is always fun to got crushed Poker can be sometimes the hardest thing in life just due to all of the emotions it triggers.
      On the other hand I can assure you that e.g. getting rejected by a girl that you try to pick up won't be an issue anymore same for other real life stuff. Because of all of the emotions you face in poker real life swings are like piece of cake.
      This is so true! I've noticed that together with my growing experience at the tables... More and more I am starting not to give a dam about many such things... And by the way, immunity to rejects is a really +ev thing :s_biggrin:

OK guys, so the first day is over and I am glad to tell that my climbing out of this deep shit has started on a positive note. Today I have been playing mixed NL20 and NL50 games. Been running good at NL20, winning 5.5 Buy ins. But NL50 has been relatively cold again.

Overall, I am +63,88 EUR today.

Also, to improve my game, today I:

:club:D iscussed my hands in an evaluation forum;
      :diamond: Actively watched 1 video & took notes to notepad
      :heart:P layed focused, at least till the evening.
      :spade: Totally redesigned my HUD, which is now neater, uses less space., easier to read.

Before going to sleep(day off tomorrow :f_biggrin: ) , I'm planning to finish watching that video and then rest time! Happy I managed to start it on the right foot. But I got such a long way to go. Which is an interesting challenge.

Cya tommorow :)

BR: 980.77EUR
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Nice to see some +ve day
      I am sure things will be back in order

Just give enough time to study

What site are you playing currently
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Originally posted by abhi147
      Nice to see some +ve day
      I am sure things will be back in order

Just give enough time to study

What site are you playing currently
      Hopefully so!

Yeah, studying is one of my top priorities at the moment speaking poker-wise.

Currently I am playing at Unibet, Microgaming network. I actually like it. Software is smooth and I am not a very demanding player, there is just everything I need.

One feature I actually enjoy, but heard many hating it, is that here are no waiting lists. I like that because you pretty much always going to find a decent game instead of tons of tables with 15+ people waiting and many empty tables.

And of course the 50% rakeback is helping a lot.

P.S thanks for stopping by. :s_thumbsup:

Seems like today I won't be playing much. Busy thursday. I had to help my friend to move to the other flat, in a couple of hours I am going to a basketball game and then seems like 4 of us will go to a party. But I am not sure about this one yet, will see how I feel like after the game. So in case I decide to chill, I guess there would be some time for poker :) We shall see.
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Hello everybody :)

As expected, did not do anything related to poker yesterday. Too busy of a day. Nonetheless it's good to have other activities besides poker.

Today was a pretty weird day, as is the case for many after-party days. Was feeling kinda sluggish, so decided to take a nap which turned to be a 3 hour daytime sleep. Was worth it, woke up feeling a little bit refreshed. Then set-up my hookah, made a cup of tea and chilled like a boss :)

After that I felt like playing poker.
      The start of a session was just pure run-bad. Got outdrawn again and again, seriously felt like I am going to have another long long night. But I realized that I won't run like that forever and kept playing since games were decent. Which turned to be a good decision cause I managed to get back up. Wasn't easy, the profit is not that big, but boy, do I appreciate any positive result at this time of my poker career :megusta:

The quality of my play... I'd rate it as B+. Could have been more focused. But I managed to avoid major mistakes. Maybe my tiredness after a night out caused the lack of focus.

So todays' result is +28.76 Eur.

Tomorrow is going to be another pretty busy day. First of all, will have to clean some mess at home which I couldn't be arsed to do today :D Then some job awaits for my uni, after that I hope to play some poker and finally in the evening another party awaits. :s_cool:

Now going to finish analyzing one poker video and then :s_zZz:

That's it for today. Until the next time.

BR: 1009.53 Eur.
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Hello fellow poker players,

I've noticed one weird trend. Quite a few of my last sessions share the same scenario. Right from the start I run really cold and lose a couple of stacks in no time, you all know moments when it seems like they always hit something, then some running into the very top of opponents' range and stuff... After 40 mins or so things start to get better and I manage to get back up to the green. :D

Last couple of days have been no exception. But I don't complain, cause such sessions work as a training for my mindset. Generally, things are improving slowly, but surely.

I am quite happy with my studying. Not lazy to post some hands to hand evaluation forums, besides, I have just completed watching Internet @ preflop math and taking some notes. Actually a very nice video, with no unnecessary things and it's always good to refresh the basics.

But I got 1 problem. I can't resist to check my session results while playing. To be honest, I was always like that. It's pretty bad, because it conflicts with the whole idea behind poker, cause it is a game of long term. I know this, but still click on my session stats every 15 minutes :s_confused:

But today I learned one thing which could be really helpful in future. When I am facing a marginal decision which is really of small edges, just because of my problem mentioned above, I could take a safer option in the hand, just not to get hit mentally if things go wrong. This would lead me to less tilting and staying focused longer. I tend to lose confidence in my plays pretty soon if for instance my marginal call loses and for sure, this approach could be a step forward in both my poker mindset and directly in winrate. Thank you for that, Manu.

Now to some practical side of poker. Don't know about you guys, but I'll show you a move I can't remember time it didn't work out:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($50.25)
      BB ($109)
      UTG ($71.45)
      Hero ($71.01)
      CO ($55.35)
      BTN ($59.98)

Dealt to Hero A:club: 4:club:

fold, Hero raises to $1.50, fold, BTN calls $1.50, fold, fold

FLOP ($3.75) J:club: 2:heart: 4:spade:

Hero bets $2.25, BTN raises to $6.50, Hero raises to $15, BTN folds

Hero wins $15.92

When a reg check/raises on such a board, it's like an auto 3bet for me. Most of the time they just call with their monsters, and ask yourself, how often do you raise here in vacuum with a hand like KJo? Their range consists of pretty much pure air, maybe some pocket pairs which decided to turn into a bluff.

Obviously nothings 100% in poker except a couple of things, but this, at least for me, has a really high success frequency.

I know that many of you knew that, but I'd be glad if this blog had at least some use in it, maybe for not experienced players. You know what I mean.

So yeah, since the last update the result is +91.94 Eur

I won myself, some earned through rakeback, anyway, happy to manage a profit.

BR: 1101.47 Eur
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      hey Pkrpains, are you already posting in our Hand Evaluation forums? It's a great way to get feedback on your hands :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I've noticed one weird trend. Quite a few of my last sessions share the same scenario. Right from the start I run really cold and lose a couple of stacks in no time, you all know moments when it seems like they always hit something, then some running into the very top of opponents' range and stuff... After 40 mins or so things start to get better and I manage to get back up to the green. :D

Last couple of days have been no exception. But I don't complain, cause such sessions work as a training for my mindset. Generally, things are improving slowly, but surely.

I am quite happy with my studying. Not lazy to post some hands to hand evaluation forums, besides, I have just completed watching Internet @ preflop math and taking some notes. Actually a very nice video, with no unnecessary things and it's always good to refresh the basics.

But I got 1 problem. I can't resist to check my session results while playing. To be honest, I was always like that. It's pretty bad, because it conflicts with the whole idea behind poker, cause it is a game of long term. I know this, but still click on my session stats every 15 minutes :s_confused:

But today I learned one thing which could be really helpful in future. When I am facing a marginal decision which is really of small edges, just because of my problem mentioned above, I could take a safer option in the hand, just not to get hit mentally if things go wrong. This would lead me to less tilting and staying focused longer. I tend to lose confidence in my plays pretty soon if for instance my marginal call loses and for sure, this approach could be a step forward in both my poker mindset and directly in winrate. Thank you for that, Manu.

This is pretty much exactly my scenario.
      Stack off at the beginning, then grind up to even.

Part of it for me is patience.

As for not checking my results -- I almost always know them pretty close anyway.

I hear some mental game words in your post. Things like "confidence", "hit mentally" and "tilting".

Have you read "The Mental Game of Poker"? by Jared Tendler?
      Not just read it, but studied it?

I'm in the process at the moment. In that book are techniques for improving your mental state. An improved mental state will help with your ability to make good decisions, and with your ability to learn more about the game itself.

Good luck!
      [x] Subscribed
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Quite a few of my last sessions share the same scenario. Right from the start I run really cold and lose a couple of stacks in no time, you all know moments when it seems like they always hit something, then some running into the very top of opponents' range and stuff...
      I had the exact same problem and one thing fixed it nearly instantly for me. Only play the top of your range the first orbit or two and generally play fit or fold. I think this fixes a few issues for you.

First, if you are like me, you are really pumped up at the beginning of a session. For me it's the exact same feeling I had before a game when I played high school football. I was really ready to just hit someone so the sooner the better! In poker I think this causes us to respond to aggression with over aggression which causes you to be second best at the showdown in big pots.

Second, you might be popping up as a maniac to guys with huds especially when they pop over to their session stats on you. This is going to cause them to seek more thin value and generally encourage them to play correctly against your perceived range.

So to combat this force yourself to play the strong, nutted part of your range for a few hands to let the adrenalin subside and to load up your opponents session stats with nitty values. Then they will play against you exactly how you would expect.
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      I am sorry for a long time not posting.

Studies hit me pretty hard, then the exams came which is always pain in the a$$ for students of my type (trying to just enjoy life while not fu*cking up grades too much :D ). But fortunately, all of this is over, my grades are okay and more free time can be expected.

One thing that is NOT over yet is my downswing. After the last post here I hit another bad stretch, and it forced me to take another break from poker, which basically took about 1.5 months.

VorpalF2F > No, I have not read it yet, but would really like to get one. I read The Poker Mindset, though. Even though, heard that The Mental Game of Poker is ahead in terms of quality.

tokyoaces > Very, very valid point and something I will keep in my mind. Thanks for that.

Okay, so now I am fully back to NL20 Euros. One more thing... I experienced the best days of my poker career when I was 4-tabling. Many times in the past I tried to increase that number to 6, but it never proved to work for me. Probably I am one of those who cannot keep proper attention and focus on many tables.

So from now on, I promise myself not to play more than 4 tables in the near future. More focus, more attention, more development of my own game, better improvement of hand reading, less chance to tilt and less of a price if tilt occurs.

Aim: to reach NL50 Euros. I will start playing that once I have 1500 Euros.
      Now, my BR: 891 Euros.

So, I will need to win 30 BI's @ NL20. Well, less than that, because rakeback will help me a little bit. But still, loads of work to be done.

On the positive note... I started 2012 @NL4 and at one point of the year, was stepping over the threshold of NL200. This year, I am starting 5 times higher, so maybe at the end of 2013, I can finally be out of the micros!
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Hello,

If you are reading this, I want to thank you for stopping by.

Here's a short update.

After my last update, I somehow decided to log-in to my old 888 poker account, and to my surprise, found 150 USD :f_love: Which is 7.5 BI's of my current stakes, so it raised my mood poker-wise quite a bit.

Secondly.. I decided to try out HEM2. First impression wasn't so good. I immediately felt that it uses more CPU (it was actually so bad with my imported DB that I decided to purge all hands and only use HEM2 for HUD @ anonymous tables and after sessions I am re-importing everything back to HEM1). The first start is always confusing, the layout is different compared to the good-old HEM1. Honestly, I did not want to use it, but did not give up and seems like, I am getting used to it. When this trial finishes I will for sure going to give PT4 a try. Does anybody know if PT4 tracks Anonymous tables without any problems?

Poker-wise, things are starting to pick up the pace. The last update was my start of poker in 2013, and now I have played 14k hands. First 12k was basically a break-even stretch, but these last 2k finally got me some results. Besides, been watching some videos here at pokerstrategy, and... The Mental game of Poker is on its' way to my hands! I hope, this will be a major step forward for me, since I always felt that my mindset is not letting me to reach the results I possibly could.

Today I even had the best day of the year so far, winning 8 BI's. Feels nice to get such a positive outcome after so many struggles.

So this is my progress in 2013 so far, + some rakeback. 7.46 bb / 100

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/resultsgi.png/][/url]

And... One more thing. I did not keep my word to only play 4 tables... Played 6 pretty much all the time. I guess this will depend on my mood and run in the future.

BR: 1217 Eur.

This is it for today, till the next time. :heart:
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Okay, since the first month of 2013 is gone, thought that it would be appropriate to recap it and give some thoughts about February.

Did not have time to put in decent volume because of the reasons I mentioned before (exams, break from poker). I only played 9 days in this month, but the result is positive (7 BI's) and I am glad because of it:

Another good thing I am happy about is that I managed to beat my own ego and fully step back to NL20. When just started the blog, I used to cheat and mix up the stakes, playing some tables NL50 and some NL20... I got rid of that. Even better is the fact that despite amounts of money being small, lately I was playing really focused, in the state for poker I'd say. This is a small victory when talking about discipline / attitude towards my poker career in general.

I did not forget studying too. Attended Pleno's coachings, watched some videos while taking notes. Also, ordered The mental game of poker. I've also established a stop-loss (never used it before) and this is absolutely positive thing for me for many reasons.

February started on the right foot. I have just finished a session and won 3 BI's. My goals for this month are quite ordinary. First of all, decent volume. Like ~30k hands. Secondly, I hope to be on the same path as I was in January - really feeling positive about myself, poker and my game again. Maybe I'll start shooting NL40 tables @ unibet. I even have 30 buy-ins for it, so I guess it's about time. This is because in March we have Pleno's camp, which is for NL50 players, but I want to be a part of it so badly.

BR: 1227 Eur.

Have fun in February, guys! :heart:
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Since the common belief is that if a blogger suddenly disappears, it means things went badly for him... Well this is not the case. :f_love:

Technically, the mission in my threads name is completed. Here is the proof. (To read the whole story, go back to OP, it is not too far away :D )

I have just recovered from a 41 BI downswing.
      Gotta be honest, I am really proud of myself. That stretch was really, really bad and I went through lots of pressure, negative minds and similar stuff which isn't too enjoyable. May sound like a brag, but it's not. At least from now on, I know what is negative variance. I also know that if I am about to continue playing poker and try climbing up the limits, the story may repeat itself and I can get hit by another one of these, but chances are I will be more prepared for that.

There have been some changes since my last post. First of all, I moved out of microgaming. Realized that I hate anonymous tables. They did not suit me at all, I even tilted way faster playing them.

So I took my roll to PokerStars. And because of Pleno, for the first time in my life I tried out Zoom poker. Didn't play a 100 hands on normal tables since. I absolutely love it. On the whole, my experience at Stars is really positive. Software is obviously the nuts. For the first time ever I got an INSTANT cash-out to moneybookers. Rake is really low. According to my HEM, it is more profitable for me to play at Stars than at Unibet with its 30% rakeback. As far as zoom is concerned... It just suits me. Really can't see myself going anywhere else in the near future. So I started playing NL25 SH ZOOM and just recently moved up to NL50.

Learning-wise, doing pretty decent. I am a regular attendant at Plenos Wednesdays coachings. Also, The Mental Game of Poker has arrived. Boy, what a book! My approach is to first of all, read it from cover to cover to get an idea and feel about it, and then to read it second time while doing my best to actively use the stuff in there. But even though I am just halfway through my first time, definitely feels like my mental approach to poker has improved.

March is going to an end, so I will share my results from this month.

The area to improve is definitely, volume. I managed only 16k hands in March whereas in February I did 41k. Hopefully I can improve that, but have some doubts because Uni is going to put some pressure on and besides, I have a high chance of getting a job of my specialty which would last until summer.

Also, I joined a gym and work-out regularly. Have some friends there, who are pretty experienced in this area, which makes it easier for me to make my first steps. And I'm not that weak in general.

So yeah, felt like I had to make an update even though this is not the most famous blog on pokerstrategy :s_biggrin: Guess this is it. I would appreciate ant thoughts, comments, everything. :heart: